Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have used role playing in the didactic portion of med surg I. We were discussing diagnostic testing and I divided students into triplets. I gave them a diagnostic test, and assigned one student as the nurse, one as the patient and one as the evaluator. I then gave them a few minutes to reveiw the procedure and the nurse's role in preparing the patient for the procedure. The patient's part was scripted ahead of time by myself (all though I encouraged the students to improv). The group then performed their little skit in front of the rest of the class. The evaluator was given a chance to critique the presentation. (ie, what did the nurse leave out?). Every once in a while, I threw them a curve ball and interjected my comments as the very annoying family member. It went well. I wouldn't do this until the classmates where somewhat comfortable with each other. It was effective, but took a fair amount of prep work - the good thing is that it can be used again.

Paula, this is a great teaching idea, keep up the good work .

I have used case studies with client scenarios in both clinical and class to help stimulate critical thinking. Hand gestures have been very helpful in clinicals but now I have some new ideas of some I have not used (I like the big eyes approach) because it is so true and natural for students to do when they are stuck. I have also used staff surprises but I have never called them by that name. I do find it important for students to discuss both the good and concerning occurances that happen at clinicals. I try to do both a pre-conference and a post-conference at my clinicals since I have the beginners and they need both direction before the day starts and debriefing at the end.

Jeanne, I am glad you have had success with your strategies and I appreciate you sharing that with us.

As a massage therapy instructor, I will throw a different last minute scenario change when they are performing 1 hour instructor massage. Normally they are expecting to do a general 1 hour massage therapy session. I will go into the session and ask them to only work on my back for 1 hour. In this case they have to think on their feet and remember that they are working for the client. It makes them pull on every skill they have learned for that part of the body.

Very good idea Paul. I am going to pull that one into our class.

Joshua, this is a great "real job world" strategy. Keep up the good work.

I have the class create case studies and role play the case studies with each other. IE..sports massage therapy.

I do a form of the staff suprises already. I think this is a great way to have my students learn to be observant and also see how a lot of people get lazy over the years when they've been working in the healthcare field. I have my students tell me things they've noticed when they went to see their own doctor. They discuss the good things that were correctly done and the things they noticed that weren't done well.

It's a great idea to personalize it by asking about their doctors.

I use concept mapping. It is a great tool to help students think critically. It can be spiced up to include color coding that makes it visually appealling too. I love all the ideas that this course has presented though. It provides me with additional ideas. Thank you.

Anita, I like mapping as well and find it a helpful strategy with the visual learners. Thank you for sharing!

I have had students be the patient when we work on bed side skills and transferring the patient. Helps the students get a different perspective on how things look.

I agree, this gives them a whole new appreciation of what it feels like to be the patient.

A modified "staff surprises" strategy was utilized on a recent clinical rotation where a procedure done by a staff was incongruent with what was taught in school. We thanked the staff for allowing us to observe her and we reviewed/discussed the correct procedure when we were off the floor and at post conference.

Unidad (Ning), this is a wise approach to what could become a problem with staff.

Michele Deck

I have to agree with you. I had set up a similar set of cards and used them when the students finished a project or assignment. It helped keep the students engaged.

Denise, keeping students engaged, even in down time, is the key.

Michele Deck

I have used the Bingo for several different classes. I think that the "Event Cards" will be very effective in my class.

The event cards help provide the students with possible real life scenarios for handicapped patients and how to handle those situtaions.

Sign In to comment