Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I use you tube all the time to fill in for some examples of techniques that I may not have a video for. I also use it when a student does a project on something new to the field to not only learn something myself but to let students get the new visual on up and coming techniques. Hopefully inspiring new interest in their chosen field. I also use critical thinking pictures during times where students seem to be losing focus to get them back into the game. like the 9 dot puzzle (clue to solving: think outside the box). I am always looking for new and inventive ways to keep students engaged and learning.

Kimberly, thanks for sharing some of the creative approaches you use to teach. I am just beginning to use youtube, but love what I have found so far!

I am also excited to use Interactive Learning Activity to my new students. The ability to use more than one sense at a time will help them respond to any unexpected behavior that they are going to encounter in the clinical setting.

I love games because it helps test there knowledge and make them think while having fun.

Roselyn, if you prepare more than one approach to a lesson, you will be able to reach all your learners when you are done. Getting them ready for the clinical situations is a good plan.

I agree, Teresa. Any time you can get them to have fun while learning ensures memory will be created.

I'm a Clinical Instructor for Vocational Nurse students and I assign them to two floors of the facility; I would definitely use "Dot on Watch" strategy.

I like trying to incorporate different teaching styles. The ones gone over in the first module are similar to ones I have used in my business class. Some specific examples would be giving one student $86,400 to spend on anything they would like. The catch is that the other students of the class have to spend the money because that student is not able to because the student with the money is "working". At the end, you ask the student with the money how it felt to have everyone else spend it. We also discuss how it felt to spend someone elses money. Then, I ask how this represents time. The point to this exercise is showing the students that spending someone else's time or letting someone else spend your time is a problem. This helps to hit a homerun on the topic of time managment. I also use hands on teaching techniques as well as a mixture of lecture with power points. I try to feel out each class and see what type of teaching works the best for them.

Dana, thank you so much for sharing how you teach time management with us in this forum. What a marvelous hands on experience to teach something that is not concrete. I plan to try it with my students. Your students are indeed lucky to have you as their teacher!

I like the idea of using the "Wheel of Knowledge" concept and naming it the "Wheel of Instruments". I teach Surgical Technology and one of the biggest obstacles I have to overcome with my students is that there are hundreds and hundreds of instruments that they must memorize and I think that this would be a good tool for them to use to help them learn the names of them and to match them with a picture. I am going to implement this game into my courses right away!

Thanks for the great idea!

Tammi Smith CST, MBA

That is a really great approach Elizabeth. I should do this so that I can teach my students not to judge others because they do not really know what kind of person they are underneath the clothes and/or makeup.

Great idea!

Tammi Smith

All of these can apply and really engage the student. Too often, I am getting bored with the repitition of the material and these suggestions also invigorate the instructor also due to the fact that the student reactions are not predictable along with the enjoyable guesses/answers that are given.

Yes, Carol. These activities can add spontaneous energy and learning into a repetitious process. Enjoy!

I teach mechanical ventilation to Respiratory Therapy students. The "Eyes or ears" game and "What's wrong with this picture?" game are games I will be incorporating in my course. They are useful tools to teach students good assessment skills of a mechanically ventilated patient and how to be perceptive of changes with the ventilator, as well.

I like the "weakest think" as it allows observation and assessment by students of potientially problematic situations. It also allows students to work together in teams which can reduce the anxiety sometimes associated with participation.

I like the eyes or ears. It is a great example of how we in the medical field to pay attention to what our patient is telling us nonverbally. I can't wait to use it!

I teach massage. Some of it is didactic while the rest is practical application. I enjoyed the teaching tips for this section. Because we are proprietary ed we never have all the latest and greatest equipment. Using You Tube and pictures of the equipment is helpful when the real goods are not available. Let's face it, it is not easy keeping a human cadaver in my office and boy would it stink.
Paul

Paul, I agree it would stink and decay...Yuck. Using pictures and You Tube are good ideas instead.

The weakest think approach is a great tool for assessment Critical thinking skills are so important to career success I also like practical hands-on learning -it is basic and practical

Joel, practical approaches should be the building blocks of all teaching plans.

Sign In to comment