Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I haven't tried any of them, but the Weakest Think sounds like something that would work in my class to make students analyze

Hi Michele:

I don't understand the question.

Can you clarify what you mean by 'teaching strategy'?

Thank you,

Hudson

I like the wheel of supplies idea. My next segment happens to be minor surgery, so this one jumped right out at me! Thank you for this idea. I'll be putting it to use next week!

There are a number of ideas here that I can use in my classes. I like the Eyes/Ears activity, because I think students think that they are good listeners/observers when, in fact, most of us can use improvement in this area. I'll try any strategy that illustrates this point to students.

Group activities seems to help each student individually by making them feel at ease, because there are other peers that can help the individual student by adding to feedback.

The Hygene exercise is one of the styles I enjoy. I believe that looking at yourself and assessing yourself is the initial part before the student walks in the floor to take care of patients. Patients will look at the student and notice some part that would have the patient question; "I didn't see this student wash her hands after taking care of my neighbor, I need to say something".

Ruth, this will fit minor surgery well. Happy to share this idea with you!

Michele Deck

Hudson, a teaching strategy is an activity.

Michele Deck

Jose, if we can hold each other accountable as learners, then we can be accountable as professionals.

Michele Deck

Susan, people gain awareness of their needs with this activity, rather than overestimating their strengths.

Michele Deck

Yes, it takes a potato to make a french fry.

I like the weakest link as critical thinking skills are very important.

The "Weakest Think" activity would be optimal for my teaching content. Critical-thinking skills are vital in medical professions. This activity would give the student an opportunity to decide in small groups through group discussion. I find peer to peer to be an effective way for students to critically think without looking for the reaction of the instructor. It then gives the instructor an opportunity to discuss misunderstandings in the classroom. "Weakest Think" provides the instructor with insight to the student's thought process that may not be as evident in Q & A.

Ann, it is a great assessment and evaluation tool for learning and thinking.

Michele Deck

I like the idea of the wheel as a way to learn when all the appropriate equipment isn't available.
I've taught CPR to teenagers and adults. I can't imagine using the suggestion they had. I wouldn't be able to use it, because I wouldn't be able to effectively deliver the material. If it works for some fine, but you need to know you audience, and yourself.

I find that the last strategy would work best for my teaching style. In our healthcare field, we not only have to listen to the client to have awareness of wjat is going on with their person, but also be able to observe them. Like their body mechanics, etc, to helps us better assess their situation and be able to provide a better service to them.

Joanne, I created this activity because I had no code cart to teach with. It can be adapted to any content.

Michele Deck

Jon, all the senses together give better data than just one of them.

Michele Deck

Weakest link. In the field of medical sonography, our Externs and graduates need to be able to make the diagnosis as they scan. Without critical-thinking skills, it is nearly impossible to make a differential diagnosis.

Students love games like Jepordy, it makes learning a team efort

Sign In to comment