Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Evangeline, you are welcome. Thank you for seeing value in these activities.

Michele Deck

What's wrong with this picture is a great hook to start out the class. For example, I teach Professional Perspectives and this would be a great way to discuss improper dress and/or body language. I could present pictures of medical assistants with tattoos, body piercings, wrinkled clothes, dirty shoes and too much make-up. This same activity could be used to show poor body language. Such as arms crossed, rolled eyes, disgusted look and playing with their phone. Again, all of which would display to the patient the medical assistant is not interested in what they are saying. This activity allows for great discussion for the days content.

Patricia, thank you for explaining how you will perform this teaching idea, as well as it's multiuse with content.

Michele Deck

The teaching strategy that fits my teaching style best would be “what’s wrong with this picture” because the learner is able to identify if they have the tools to succeed. This can inside and outside of the classroom type of concept.

Beatrice, I hope you choose to utilize this strategy since it fits your style.

Michele Deck

I use the 5E methodEngagement
Object, event or question used to engage students.

Connections facilitated between what students know and can do.

Exploration
Objects and phenomena are explored.

Hands-on activities, with guidance.

Explanation
Students explain their understanding of concepts and processes.

New concepts and skills are introduced as conceptual clarity and cohesion are sought.

Elaboration
Activities allow students to apply concepts in contexts, and build on or extend understanding and skill.

Evaluation
Students assess their knowledge, skills and abilities. Activities permit evaluation of student development and lesson effectiveness.

This proves to work best in any situation, and the student leaves with a full understanding of any method.

I. too, fairly new and exploring myself. However, the "eyes and ears" strategy is relevant to my everyday practice.

Noe, that you for detailing your successful approach. We can all learn to delve in depth with content, as you have described.

Michele Deck

I really liked several of the strategies and feel I will be able to use most of them. I teach in a Veterinary Technology program and the "Eyes & Ears" will be very helpful to stress the importance of observing the animal while taking a medical history from the owner.

Lisa, what a great twist! I had never thought about taking a history and observing the animal simultaneously.

Michele Deck

I think for Surgical Technology the Pattern fill in is an excellent way to get the students to realize that they will eventually "get it" once they know the patterns of surgery and that there is hope that it will become easier as they know more. (It is so overwhelming with the amount of information they are given in school I always hear "I'm not sure if I can get this")

Judy, it is normal for students to have some anxiety when learning new knowledge and skills.

Michele Deck

The thinking pattern strategy would be the best one to add to my teaching style because the courses I teach are very difficult and student tend to show up on the very first day of class with anxiety and need to be able to distinguish pattern early in this course, and I often tell them that on the first day of class. They need grasp foundation and they will excel in these courses. So this technique is great way of demonstrating what they need to do for this course.

Salina, I'm glad you stress this important point starting in the first class. It can clarify expectations and set the student in a position to be successful.

Michele Deck

The spaghetti muscles, because the program I teach focuses intensely on muscles and how they function.

Jill, this is a simple and inexpensive prop that can be used by all students.

Michele Deck

I co-teach with another instructor. We usually lecture first and then I teach the clinic portion of the class. I teach hands-on because that is how I learn. When teaching clinical classes the students get to touch the equipment, seeing what it looks like in person helps to understand what it is used for and how to use it.

The teaching strategy that fits my teaching style and content is a combination of auditory, visual and kinesthetic. I teach medical billing and coding so I lecture and write notes on each section we are covering before the students start using the coding books to code from that section. The students all gain an understanding and are better equipped for the task at hand. If at any time a change needs to be made (depending on my students) I am happy to do so because my main goal is to make sure that my students understand and are able to use the information in real coding scenarios.

Sonja, I'm a hands on learner myself, so I value the approach you are taking to teach the clinic portion of class.

Michele Deck

Rhonda, your student are very lucky. You are a learner focused teacher, not someone impressing people with your expertise. So many instructors are teacher focused.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment