Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Glad you like this one, Gina. I hope you use it as a strategy with great success, I have.

I like to do a timed scavenger hunt for supplies in the physical therapy clinic.
It gets even more interesting if you tell them to find supplies/equipment for a particular task.

Involvement works, especially hands on tasks.

yes, it does

I agree---often an instructor gets too ingrained in how they teach something and some of these ideas can "shake" things up a bit.

Virginia, I agree shaking things up at intervals can offer an opportunity to find a new and better way to teach content and skills.

I think they all fit my teaching style and I am going to have fun doing all of them. I will surely make class more fun for all and help with the students retention.

I'm glad they fit your teaching style. Enjoy!

My teaching style is lecture with many activities intertwinned in the lecture. We do case studies, critical thinking exercises, learning activities, role play, games and many more so the students remain interactive and bored with just lecturing. I have been trying some of the suggestions in in ED311 which will certainly increase the participation and learning for the students.

Peggy, the key to effective teaching is to use a variety of methods as you have described. Thanks for trying new ideas as well!

I teach a lot of hands on clinical classes so I really like to make it fun during lecture because I feel that my students are more likely to retain the information if they enjoy my class. I have used jeopardy and bingo previously and I look forward to trying a wheel of knowledge type of game that I learned in this module.

I hope the wheel of knowledge games is easily adaptable to the content, Lindsay. Keep up the good and fun work!

I am very excited to try the Eyes or Ears activity. I think this will open the students eyes to recognizing body language in patients and not just listening to their words. It is very important in the health care field to not only be a good listener but also to pick up on visual cue's patients' give.

Stacy, it is important to take in the visual and the smells use all the senses with patients. I hope your students like this idea and learn from it.

I feel the thinking games and the ILA will work in my room. I'm most excited about the activity in which they have to actively listen and employ effective communication skills. I think it will be an eye opener as to how much effort it can take to listen effectively as well as to see how others perceive them when they talk.

Yes, Kyla, listening is an important skill, but most people assume they are good at it when we can all improve. Thanks for your thoughts.

Since I am only in the lab, I probably would have their instructor show some videos from youtube prior to bring them to the lab.

I am a lab instructor only, so many of the strategies would not work for me, but scavenger hunts or index cards with different scenerios of problems with lab patients would fit in.

Hi Everyone! The teaching strategy that fits my teaching style and content best would be the who is the "Weakest Think" activity. Teach medical assistants and we have a short amount of time for the to learn the content so critical thinking skills are essential. This activity gets them thinking about different scenarios in the clinical setting and how they will solve or react to them. Since they will be in a clinical setting most of the time we must get them thinking that way before they enter an externship or clinical facility.

This also encourages everyone in the group to critical thinking and to share their own insights about various clinical/medical situations. You can adapt this game to any medical situation or class content. It can be done on the first day of a hands-on class or various times during the semester. I plan to continue to use this in my courses and improve upon it. God Bless!

I absolutely agree with you Martha. I sometimes do not have all the supplies that I need in the classroom but I always try to improvise, whether it be through pictures or videos or laminated cut outs...lol. I really like the idea of the "Wheel of Supplies". I'm going to try to implement with some of my laboratory/clinical courses. I may use it even if we do have the supplies as reinforcement activity. God Bless!

Sign In to comment