Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dawn, I'm so glad that this idea will solve a challenge you have without the instruments. It is a fun and involving way to learn the supplies.

Michele Deck

I am faced with the need to teach many concepts of laboratory instrumentation, but do not have access to the actual instruments to do the training. Using your idea of the Wheel of Supplies, I could create images of each part of a particular instrument and have the students select the correct parts for that instrument. Thanks so much for sharing this idea!

Dawn, I created this activity because we did not have access to a code cart for hospital orientation. Sometimes great ideas come from necessity. I'm glad this is helpful to you.

Michele Deck

I agree with Marvin also. Too often the students are to focused on what they think they are supposed to be learning and not letting their minds absorb all the information that is in front of them. I look forward to trying this exercise with my class.

I like the wheel of supplies. I believe this will reinforce the purpose of each supply needed as well as where to locate them.

I am intrigued by all of the strategies, and have used various styles of some of them. I'm always looking for new ways to stimulate my students. I will use with Wheel of "Supplies" or Weakest Think. They should prove to be enlightening.

Mabel, thank you for sharing the activities that appeal to your teaching style. Good luck implementing them!

Michele Deck

I like the exercises that motivate critical thinking. this is such an important life skill!

I was intrigued by all of them. I have a creative side to me and am always looking for ways to mix things up a bit.

The anatomy tactics. Some students really find anatomy difficult. I find using visual aids really help them.

I always find these group/partner learning activities helpful when introducing new material. As a massage therapy instructor keeping the coarse material engaging for classes with less hands is important. Using the "Brush with fame" activity in a massage law or ethics class will work as a fitting activity for the course material.

I liked the "What's wrong with this picture" strategy. I think that this will teach my students to be prepared and to think critically. I plan on using it while teaching catheter placement but it could be adapted to so many things. This fits my teaching style because it's like a mini quiz, and I think that quizes are a means of trial and error, the best way to learn.

Nicolette, indeed, this strategy is an evaluation one. It also teaches people observational skills, and critical thinking.

Michele Deck

I like the patterns of thinking activity as teachers we have to realize that thinking skills are basic and critical thinking activities should be considered indispensable to the education of every student.

Clyde,I agree that thinking skills are indispensable to the education of every student. Some instructor's mistakenly think that lecturing is the only teaching method appropriate for the classroom. Lecture alone doea not teach students to think. This is why other strategies must be utilized. Thanks for your thoughts.

Michele Deck

I particularly liked Brush with Fame as it uses real world examples of how you could be faced with the dilemma of whether or not you should share information that would be tempting to share. It's a simple concept. I like how initially the students wouldn't necessarily know what you were leading up to and how in the end it brings to light the answer in a clear manner.

I agree. I am also sometimes limited in the supplies we have to utilize. In addition, it's a different way of interacting with the students that I've not used and would make a great change of pace for the class.

Shannon, I'm glad you are seeing value in this idea. Please implement at least one new teaching strategy in your classes.

Michele Deck

I liked all the teaching Strategy examples given. I liked Wheel of Supplies because for one it gets students up and moving and reinforces learning especially when definitions or how the item is utilized is added to the search. This is the teaching strategy I will use first within the next few weeks.
Jones

Georgina, I'm glad you plan to use this in the next few weeks. Your students will benefit from as many activities as you feel they need.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment