Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hello Peggy! I like all of the concepts and activities that you implement into your course. It sounds very interactive and engaging. I have been doing case studies and critical thinking exercises with a few games mixed in but I haven't implemented the role playing yet. Since trying different things my students have become more active in the course and GRADES HAVE INCREASED! This really encourages and motivated the student and myself. Nice post and God Bless!

Probably the index cards. I always like to give the students real life examples of situations they may encounter and ask them what they would do.

Alexandra, simulating real life situations is a wonderful way to teach critical thinking. Hope this idea helps with your classes.

Tawanda, it is great to hear that learner grades have gone up with the use of involvement and activities. Thanks for sharing.

Glad the patient scenarios will work with your lab classes. Scavenger hunts are also effective ways to orient learners and introduce supplies and equipment.

Thank you for sharing your experience and positive energy. Happy New Year!

YouTube does have quite a variety of video clips that can be used as a teaching tool.

I am a lab instructor, so I find showing a video, then applying that knowlegde in the classroom is best.

I agree. In reading about this activity, I realized that this would have been a great activity for my own personal education. We were expected to be observant and retentive of the information with very little instruction on how to do that. Observation is such a vital skill, and I think that many instructors, including myself, struggle to teach it effectively. Thank you for sharing this activity.

My teaching style is very hands-on and creative, and so I really love the idea of the t-shirt assessment and the shower cap brain anatomy activity. I've found that students struggle in spatial recognition of human anatomy. These would be really great opportunities for students to apply these principles in a way that they will (hopefully) enjoy.

I was not familiar with the you tube videos but will be doing some research.

I'm so glad you like this one and can use it. Enjoy, Jennifer!

Visual and spacial content can be hard to grasp. Hope these methods meet you needs.

I think all of the teaching strategies are effective in maintaining interest and generating productive conversations on the material. I think this is extremely important with adult learners. I am teaching a Human Anat and Physio class and used a YouTube video on Chemical bonding. I actually embedded the video within my PowerPoint presentation. The instructor in the YouTube video made a song about ionic and covalent bonding while holding up cards to elicit the visual senses as well. My adult learners loved it and actually asked for the link to share with their kids who are studying basic chemistry. I believe instructors need to have a variety of teaching strategies because it not only maintains interest in the material but it also ensures that we are meeting our students needs on a variety of levels.

Angel, thanks for sharing your YouTube video idea. I looked it up and it is quite effective in getting its message across. Using as many senses as possible is the key to learning. Your students are lucky to have you as their instructor!

the wheels of supplies is a great idea. We do not do a lot of code blues at work and the staff can never remember where everything is. This strategy will be helpful at the same time, it makes learning fun.

Feel free to adapt this idea to anything that you need to teach that involves supplies. Thanks, Elizabeth!

Eyes or Ears? This strategy helps the student practice using the most important skill they can have - listening. Many students can see something and learn that way, but if they can learn to listen effectively (to the instructor and/or partner) their learning experience will be enhanced.

very useful i want to get away from powerpointas I w ill set up groups add scenarios for various diagnosis and have them place the scenario on each index card marked it depends, never or yes really great idea interactive and interesting and makes them think in a posotive enviroment

it is an excellent tool for providing audio to auscutation examples of variuos heart conditions and step by step videos for skills if i don't have all the resources to have them visualize the supplies for a particular skill

Sign In to comment