Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Carrie, I'm glad you like this idea and that you will use it with your students. Good luck!

I really like this approach, thanks for sharing it!

I like the idea of UTube because there are many useful videos for nursing courses I teach, however the chat system in the school where I teach does not have the technology to use these video clips.

I am a hands on teacher, I like to apply real world experiences to teaching. I teach practicing RNs that are going on for their BSN so it is important to gear the teaching to higher level thinking.

Dr Jill, you can assign the clips on YouTube for course work like homework, so it does not have to be supported by the technology system of your school. Thanks for your thoughts.

I agree it is important to gear your teaching to the audience of learners you have. RN to BSN learners generally have much clinical knowledge but may not be as familiar with management, leadership and advanced nursing practice, so you are smart to look for ways to invite higher thinking from them.

I am a new nursing instructor. The suggestion on critical think will be very helpful as I try to teach my students.

Mindi, we were all new once, and over time we find teaching strategies that work. The weakest think is a good way to assess, develop and evaluate critical thinking.

I found all of the ideas mentioned interesting to implement.The wheel to find supplies would be most helpful for my particular group of students who will be in clinical sites in various hospitals. I will definitely use this to make them aware of safety equiptment locations as well as difficult intubation and crash cart locations and supplies. It would also be helpful for locating MSDS information books. I find it challenging to teach students on the hospital environment when they are not familiar with it and this will definitely help them to know where to look, as well as, what they should be looking for.

I am excited to use the "back to back" observation demonstartion in my class of new students. I think this will provide an opportunity to teach students to be aware of all surroundings in a way that will leave a lasting impression. Thanks very much for all the wonderful ideas.

I teach Gen Ed and it was helpful to learn how other instructors may be teaching to reinforce and understand what the students are used to.

Most of my students are visual and hands on learners. I have noticed that it helps the learner visualize the skill first by either a video or clinical mock scenario. Most students respond well.

Diana

Tammy, I like the way you are adapting the wheel idea to clinical sites and critical supplies. You and your learners will be surprised how well they can remember these.

Jennifer, you are welcome. I'm glad you like the ideas and can implement them in your own classes.

Corey, if you involve your students with the Gen Ed content, you will find your learners engaged and interested.

Diana, I find that most of my learners are visual and hands on, too.

Whenever possible I use hands-on teaching. Most students that attend my program at the college I teach prefer hands-on opportunities. I am looking forward to learning about new ways to engage students when it's difficult to use hands-on.

Julie, I hope this course provides you with some of the ideas you seek. It is a challenge to find ways to make all content hands on.

Role-playing and group presentations and demonstrations in combination with my power point slides have been my strategy to stimulate several senses, help memorizing, bring life to dry or heavy material, and make it a fun time with developing interest and enthusism.

Paul, those three strstegies keep your learners active and engaged. Thanks for sharing what works for you.

Sign In to comment