Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

"Weakest Think" activity is the one I will use in my classroom and clinic. The new generation of students have a more difficult time with critial thinking. Using this activity, students deal with real world senarios and can apply thier critical thinking skills. This activity facilitate learning through applying the obtained knowledge into different life experiences.

Mahnaz, I am always looking for ways to teach others how to think. It is an extremely important skill and takes time to develop.

Michele Deck

I like both the "weakest think" activity. This activity allows the students to discuss different patient case studies that may pertain to them and how it would be managed in an office. This will facilitate their critical thinking.

Kimberlee, be usre you make the scenarios you use someone short and real life for the activity.

Michele Deck

Don't know yet, wrote down so many to try. Some I can see using in my AP & Med Term classes, some in Clinicals.

This was one of the best courses I've done so far because it used medical course info and scenarios.

Elise, thank you so much for your positive feedback. Please pass the good word to the people at Max Knowledge!

Michele Deck

I really like the "brush with fame", because the students have no idea what they are really going to be asked to recall.....great for critical thinking skills, which is essential in the field of Surgical Technology.

This may not be part of the provided lesson (my apologies), but due to the vast majority of General Education/Allied Health Students I currently utilize the “Progressivist approach” of teaching and instruction. This pedagogical technique allows students to have a smoother transition from week-to-week. I find this method VERY helpful for introductory collegiate courses, incoming freshman, and non-traditional adult learners.

The progressive education philosophy embraces the idea that we should teach children how to think and that a test cannot measure whether or not a child is an educated person (Kennedy, R. 2014).

Reference link:
http://privateschool.about.com/od/typesofprivateschools/g/progressive.htm

I honestly really like all the ideas. They are all very creative and I can certainly see how they will help students engage. I like the brush with fame as well as the eyes or ears activity especially for me as a fitness trainer instructor.

Sarah, I'm glad these activities are a good match for your fitness training.

Michele Deck

Patterns of Thinking for teaching Nursing Process and Criticial Thinking as well as Eyes and Ears for teaching Physical Assessment

Rosemary , I'm glad these are the ones you have chosen to use in your classes.

Michele Deck

The Wheels of Supplies as students that I teach will be working with medical books, forms in the field and yes at one point they will be using these resources in an electronic format. So students learning an objective or tasks hands on with a tangible item will enforce that skill set.

Beatrice, this activity can both teach and reinforce content for students.

Michele Deck

The weakest think activity will fit my teaching style; to assist the nursing students learn, assess and correct critical thinking skills. This activity helps the studetns to think criticaly to come up with the clinical judgement and prioritize at the clinical settings.

Medhin, all these skills and abilities are honed with this critical thinking activity. I hope you enjoy using it as a teaching tool.

Michele Deck

The "Eyes or Ears?" strategy fits my style and content. I have taught Practical Nursing Lab & Clinical and see how this will add to the observation skills of the students. Focusing with eyes while listening with ears is a difficult task. Sixty seconds of relating their own story, listening to another, then back to back to recall physical features will be a challenge! After 32 years of nursing practice, I know how important this skill is to master! Or attempt to be proficient! Thank you!

Mary Ellen, you are welcome. I'm glad this activity will have relevance and impact for your learners.

Michele Deck

Good Evening:
I found the different strategies both interesting and encouraging. Im relatively new to this industry and therefore I'm still "exploring" approaches on how to convey concepts.

The interesting aspect was the applicability of each strategy and the encouraging aspect was that I'm actually using most of these strategies from an intuitive base.

The strategy that fits my teaching style and content best is "what's wrong with this picture?" The reason is that I use "case scenarios" quite a bit in my instruction and the premise of a case scenario is a critical analysis of the situation which develops critical thinking skills--its all about asking the "why" of something. This development involves the senses which rely on the observational skills.
thanks
Susan

I like the Bruch with Fame and What is Wrong with this picture activity. It is an awesome way to get the point across of how important it is for a medical biller/coder to follow the HIPAA rules in their future careers. In the wrong picture activity it teaches students to focuss on the details which is valuable when chosing the correct codes. Students often rush trough the coding assignments and be off by one number and it's counted as incorrect. Thank you for these very helpful teaching activities.

Sign In to comment