Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I am new nad haven't used any strategies wish there was a pre made textbook of activities for LVN students

If there are teachers who wouldike to share their activites specific ways they developed jeopardy for LVN students we should have a share board so we don't all have to re invent the whhel so to speak

Everyone can become a better listener, Joshua. I agree with you and hope this strategy can help your learners.

Ann, I'm glad this is an idea you can use. Enjoy!

There is a book called The Collection of Instant Teaching Tools, which is authored by me, Michele Deck that is over 100 teaching ideas with content you can use. It is published by Tool Thyme for Trainers at www.tool-trainers.com. Hope this helps.

A strong participative component. I ask many questions and try to provide the explanation of topics in a way that everyone can relate.

For example, where speaking about healthcare budgets, I speak to the home budget and how that can compare to a hospital or assisted living center budget.

Dr. Regan

Participation and making the content relatable to everyday life is a successful approach. Students appreciate when we are focused on them and their progress. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Thank you for the course. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot of good ideas. For sure, if I have any need for your help, I will certainly get in touch with you.

Thanks for your kind words, Elizabeth. Good luck and happy teaching!

I like the Brush with Fame used for teaching HIPAA. this is often a confusing subject for students to grasp and using this exercise would be a quick way for them to get the point of what you are and are not permitted to discuss under this Act.

My best teaching strategy and or teaching style is hands on. If I can explain the equipment and show them how it works, I feel that they understand the theory better. This approach gives them a chance to have hands on with the device as well, which will help them latter to commit the information to memory.

I utilize an evidence based practice approach. I firmly belive in the value of identifying empirical supportive data that is theoretically based and then follow uo with several "real world" applications and experiences. The greater the involvement and engagement of the student the greater the learning and recall for the student.

Evidence based practice also helps the beginning student to learn the process they could employ as professionals when they are out in the workplace. Great modeling!

I find there is an unusually high percentage of hands on learners in career schools. You recognize that and obviously adapt to teach them successfully. Great job!

I really think they're all useful for my classes. I am a dental instructor and "weakest think", applying critical thinking skills is valuable in this profession, learning hands on skills, wheel of supplies, is a great learning tool, Interactive listening, these are all wonderful teaching alternatives and I will definitely be incorporating these ideas into my lectures! Thank you!

You are welcome...happy teaching!

I really liked the idea of using the weakest think activity. I am a nursing instructor and teach the beginning courses for nursing students and how to critically think. The students struggle with the concept of critical thinking and I believe it would help them understand and know how to critically think.

Susan, I'm glad this is a tool you can use. It only takes the time initially to make up the scenarios, and then you can use it with different classes and it is ready to go.

I think I'm going to use the observation game. I hope to find that teaching students to use more than one of their senses will help them in their assessment staregies. I try to show them that they can do a lot of their assessment without ever touching the patients, so this will be great in driving that point home for them!

i start one of my classes dressed up like a homeless person, limping, etc and ask my students what they can tell by looking at the picture I represent. I helps them to understand that every observation/encounter with a client is part of the assessment.

Sign In to comment