Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I like the idea of the circulation walk-through. I teach nutrition and a particularly difficult concept for the students to get is the circulation of bile, so a digestion walk through would be great because you can have one student walk through the gi tract while 2 other students represent the bile, leave the liver and subsequently gall bladder together, meet up ith the food in the duodenum, split up in intestine, and take their different routes-- either to the rectum with the food or back to the liver.

Charlotte, thank you do much for describing how you will adapt this activity to your content. I wish I was in your class when you use this activity!

Michele Deck

Helen, I wish I was in your class to learn these concepts the way you teach them. You can help so many people with these ideas! Thank you for sharing them!!!

Michele Deck

I use thin fresh cowhide or pig skin for students to practice removing surgical staples or simple sutures. I get it for no charge from local processers. Students can do a skin prep, shave or scrub. It is very real to them and involves no biohazard problems.

John, thanks for this creative suggestion. We all can relate to using these tools.

Michele Deck

I like the idea of the T shirt as well. It can be added onto as we go through assessment.

I think I would like to use the Tshirt and keep adding to it as we progress through the module.

Michele, I like the idea of adding to the tshirt over time, and content. This males it more than a one time tool.

Michele Deck

I really like the T-shirt idea for A & P. (Cost will be a problem for the supplies.) We have used the idea of a candy cell, and that is always a hit. Just recently I used felt and cut out heart & lungs. Using red, blue, and purple pipe cleaners, the students demonstrated the 2 circulatory systems. They loved it.

Mabel, thank you for sharing this terrific teaching strategy. Many instructors will see it here and will try it.

Michele Deck

one of my coworkers used the incredible edible cell for histology and said it worked well! I had the students draw a picture of the cell. one student made a pizza out of her cell. each organelle represented a topping on her pizza; very creative and fun:)

ANDREA, I love the pizza idea and hope you shared it with as many students as possible to inspire and teach them.

Michele Deck

The shower cap idea is brilliant for teaching anatomical structures of the skull. This is to include bones, sutures and bony landmarks. I teach massage therapy courses this activity is perfect for introduction to cranial anatomy.

Jamie, I'm so glad this teaching idea is applicable to your class content. I know your students will learn from it.

Michele Deck

I love the interactive lesson of the cardiac circulation sheet I usually play round robin until everyone is in sync with the process of blood flow but having a sheet sounds fun!

Clyde, I had not thought of the round robin approach but will try it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Michele Deck

I liked the shirt idea!

I like the T-shirt idea. It could be used for a multitude of lessons. EKG lead placement would be a great tool for Patient Care Technicians.

I think this t-shirt idea is FANTASTIC!!!!! I can't wait to try this in Fundamentals and med/surg for lung sounds and ekg's, bowel sounds too.

What a great idea!

Sign In to comment