Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The T-shirt idea is great idea if budget allows. Using the Jelly-O beans is definitely providing good tool for memorizing the cell biology. One of my colleagues asked students to bake a cake with elements of cell represented and students got excited about it and I saw a very creative model. I use the internet U-tube to introduce topics through educational videos posted there.

Educational videos are wonderful tools and creative approaches make content memorable.

I like the idea of "Story of Life" in teaching CPR. I would recommend this to Staff Developer of my facility. This would assist staff to remember the vital steps.

Roselyn, I'm glad you might think this is helpful to your staff development people.

As part of the curriculum in my surgical technology program the students must learn how to take vital signs. The problem that they come across all of the time is trying to decide how much pressure is enough when they inflate the blood pressure cuff. The idea of using the two liter bottle is ingenious! I am going to implement this right away!! This will definitely save my arm and the arms of my lab instructor and student teachers!

Tammi Smith CST, MBA

There were so many great ideas! I will definitely be implementing quite a few of them in my daily teaching plans. Coming from Neuro Surgery, I love the Shower Cap Brain Anatomy. This will really be influential while teaching the students about the brain as well as the anatomy! This will be used in the next mod for my students for sure!!

I loved the idea of the white T-shirt and the T-shirt safe markers. I would used this method in kinesiology class. The students could wear the T-shirts and draw the muscles of the back, chest, abdomen, or upper arms. This saves them from having to use washable markers on each other which are messy. We could also use this method to draw the bones on the T-shirt to give them a better idea of where they are. The shower cap method is also interesting. I would used it to have them draw where each bone and suture lies in the the skull, it could also be used to draw the muscles as well.

I do not feel that I have a difficult curriculum. My students are always engaged through games, lecture, and hands on learning. They come to class out of curiosity as to what I might do next or how I might do something.

I like the t-shirt idea however, cost is an issue as with most of the ideas here. My adaption would be to use dry erase boards that we already have with string to wear them.

I love the T-shirt idea. That would be a great way in anatomy even before clinicals. They could learn the placement of the organs and hopefully keep it for later in the clincal classes.

Shelina, feel free to adapt any of these ideas to fit your students, your budget and your content. Thanks for sharing!

The sheet and the cardiac system I have done with a slight variation. Instead of using a sheet I have the students represent the different anatomy of the heart, 1 is the bicusip valve, right atrium, etc. Then I have the other students pass through them correctly. Then the group that was the blood becomes the heart. They love it and many of them really have that, "aha" moment.
Paul

I like the idea of using the Jello and candies to explain and learn about cells. This is an awesome idea and I would definitely like to implement it with my Anatomy and Physiology I students.

Tawanda, I agree this is a great activity that takes preparation, but is worth it.

I like the cellular candy concept. I could use it when teaching lab values and it is probably the one time they could eat their work!

More visuals are essential in every application
We need to use exercises that focus on every learning style

You could have students do a homework assignment on the cell. They could bake or purchase a round cake or cookie cake and use different types of candies for the parts of the cell. They could have a legend to label which candy is what part of the cell.

I like the idea of "food for thought" with the incredible edible cell. It makes for good hands on time and everyone gets to enjoy the outcome.

I also like the idea of telling a story in order help remember difficult content. Sometimes hearing things in a different format helps you to remember key things more easily.

This is a nice homework variation that could be viewed and enjoyed in class without the class time to put it together. Great adaptation!

I think all of the methods presented are creative. I feel anything that creates a visual and also gets the students up and moving are effective ways of presenting information. I have an instructor who after teaching the concepts of filing has the students stand up and "file" themselves by last name, then first name then age etc. If students have fun learning they are more likely to retain the information!

Catherine, What a great way to teach filing! Thanks for sharing that idea!

Sign In to comment