Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I could see using the Cardiac Circulation Sheet - this is one area of my instruction that we constantly reinforce throught the term. This idea is another way to teach the anatomy and circulation of the heart.

I'm glad you like this idea, Michael. It is a re-useable tool once you create it.

I would be interested in trying the tshirt project. I think I would modify it by having students draw the peritoneal organs on the back of the shirt. They would then have an grasp on the position of those organs and where they lie in relation to the spinal column. I would also include the sternum and ribs on the front.

Cardiac circulation and using the tshirt for A&P is really great. The student can use this as a great memory after the learning and the class is over. I have used a baby doll or stuffed teddy bear for teaching the heimlich for the child.

The story telling/singing method is one of my favorites as well. Students are always receptive to different learning techniques.

I plan to implement this in my classroom.

I have actually utilized the flat sheet with the heart drawn on it to teach cardiac circulation. I amplified this by buying red and blue balloons making some students deoxygenated by carrying the blue balloons and oxygenated by carrying the red balloons. This was an enhancement for the tactile learners.

Carol, I too, have used a clown doll for teaching heimlich to decrease the anxiety of students who have children the size of the actual CPR mannikins.

Leslie, I wish you success in implementing this teaching idea.

I really like this adaptation and will try it with my next class.

I think that technique is wonderful we also use stuffed animals to practice procedures such as suture and suture removals, infant/child well baby checks....

The stuffed animals are low anxiety producing tools.

I've also done this with chalk and at one time there was also a king sized sheet. (One for the winter months and one for the summer months) We also have played games with a red ball and a blue ball, where the ball is passed from student to student. For instance, you'd start with a student picking a place, say the right ear. They'd pass the blue ball to the next student who would say, superior vena cava, passing the ball to the next student who would say right atrium. The idea is that you become the drop of blood and trace that drop through the heart. The goal is minimal down time and with time, we pick up the pace. The students love it and they never seem to forget it.

Kellie, thank you for sharing your hands on idea for circulation with a ball pass.

I like the shower cap idea for teaching head anatomy. Right now I use skulls and yarn for nerves, arteries, but the cap can be used for the skull bones.

What method could be adapted to best fit a difficult part of my content? As stated before each method is great. So many methods, so little time. I like the one about pulse point macarena but it don't fix into my class course, nor do any of the rest. The downside of any of these methods is time. I think the morale would greatly increase.

For a student to practice removing a staple/suture, a home made arm with staples or sutures is used to practice on so the student can have the feel of it.

One does not have to have a high cost sim man to teach learners effectively. I like your home made arm, it is a super idea!

I suppose the story of life activity could be used to, if adapted correctly, represent the step in essay writing, or thesis creation, or public speaking creation and delivery.

Simply putting staples in a thin piece of cardboard can help to simulate the removal of sutures and students can have the fun of removing numerous staples. They can also see what can happen to the "skin" when the staple suture is removed improperly - the skin will tear and cause damage. It is a very inexpensive yet effective tool.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea with us, Mary! Fast, inexpensive, and makes the point about damage to tissues.

Sign In to comment