Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

For AP, I loved the 'Edible Cell' which I may also use for 'Edible Atom'. Also loved the 'Bed sheet for the heart', I have been using colored balloons for the blood flow through the heart also, but that got a little confusing.

In the Clin classes, will be trying more of the critical thinking exercises and cards.

Elise, I'm wishing you much success. I know your learners will be engaged and learning in your classes.

Michele Deck

I love the t-shirt idea for hearts. I would love to adapt it to work with the muscles of the body by using pants and long t-shirts so my students can understand line of pull of muscles better.

Sarah, this idea of expanding the anatomy to the whole body is a terrific one. What about old pantyhose to draw on?

Michele Deck

You could use the bed sheet to illustrate where blood would back up to when a patient has CHF and a ventricle is no longer able to pump effectively.

Rosemary , this is example of taking the sheet to a new level of understanding to the learners. Thanks for sharing!

Michele Deck

The event card method will be adopted as a best fit to a difficult part of the content, since they can provide quick critical thinking scenaries that the instructor can pose to a student in a clinical area.

Medhin, it's great to have these activities that fit into clinical experiences.

Michele Deck

I do not think that these particular ideas will work for dental hygiene.

I like the "T-shirt" method of anatomy. Actually, in the last class I taught, we went on-line and watched a You-tube video about listening to lung sounds, heart sounds, and bowel sounds. The video star used the "T-shirt" method. I was surprised that some of the students actually drew the diagram on their journal page. Proper placement of the stethoscope is vital in nursing. Many good ideas. Thank you!

Mary Ellen, thank you for sharing your knowledge of what is available on youtube. There are so many resources, it's great to know what to look for!

Michele Deck

The cardiac bedsheet idea and the t-shirt idea was interesting. I like that the t-shirt idea can be used to teach anatomy and also can be used for assessing the lungs and thorax.

Aprilyn, a great teaching tool has multiple uses. I hope this inspires you to try one of these methods.

Michele Deck

I think that is a great idea especially if they could use some white masks or something similar!

Sara, you can substitute whichever materials are available to you.

Michele Deck

Hi
The circulation through the heart is a very difficult visual for most students. I really liked the bed-sheet idea because the students can "walk the path" of ciculation. This reminds me of time when I had to travel to a part of town which I never had traveled before; I always went to the location just to "scope it out" and then the next time I went to that location, I found the path a lot easier.

I would add a few things; such as, I would extended the "path" to include the blood exchange in the capillaries, and I would have the students carry a red flag and a blue flag so they can "see" the blood exchange. Another difficult concept is the hepatic portal system.
Susan

SUSAN, I like that you have made this activity a better one with capillary exchange, and looking at hepatic portal circulation.

Michele Deck

I like the T-shirt idea because you can also write a condition on the sticky notes and students would have to give an ICD-9 code. I think this is a great way to teach anatomy.

I really like the hands on learning approach. The t-shirt idea can be used for many different courses by the student learners. It will motivate the student and challenge them within the set course. A change or addition would be for the student learner to have a time line to follow and meet some specific objectives with the project.

The t-shirt idea was great and it also will give them a visual for what organ is related to what area of the body and then we can practice pronunciation and anatomical placement

Sign In to comment