Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Michael,

I completely agree. Although a learning curve is expected, you do want the benefits to outweigh the investment in time and resources. If you are adopting a technology that will be of great use to you for years to come, it is a wise investment, but when it affects the class negatively and students are drawn away from the topic at hand because they are struggling with the technology, it's use must be reassessed.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

I personally feel that by incorporating SlideShare would make the presentation more interesting. So many Power Point Presentations are too boring but adding video and audio to these presentations make it so much more interesting and easier to get the objectives desired in the class.

I think anything that can be done to make a visual presentation more interesting is very valuable. I use Powerpoint almost everyday, and sometimes it can get a bit boring.

I really think its a huge improvement over the latter which is th old overhead projector! I'm so glad that we are not using such ancient equipment at our learning institution.

In some of our culinary classes, for example, sanitation, we have asked students o do a PowerPoint presentation on a foodborne outbreak and illness. Those who are comfortable and computer literate usually embrace this. However, those who have never used this tool are very reluctant or just don't do the assignment. Even after giving them some tips and tutoring these individuals just don't follow through because they feel like what they'll produce would be inadequate. Just saying.

Anthony,

You bring up a good point. A student may lack the confidence to create a visual presentation and share it with a group, especially if their computer skills are weak. PowerPoints are a great tool for showcasing material and organizing thoughts when sharing information, but yes, there are inevitably a few who prefer to submit a written paper.

Theresa Schmitt

I think using SlideShare can be beneficial, but I think it is important to remember the PowerPoint videos. Even the greatest technology can be ruined by not paying attention to basic concepts of presentation. I have a lot of trouble trying to convince students that technology (PowerPoint, SlideShare, or whatever) should enhance the presentation, not be the presentation.

Wendy,

I agree, many times all of the bells and whistles get in the way and actually distract from the message. The Microsoft videos on practicing restraint with PowerPoint mentioned in this course are a great resource for students and educators alike when developing presentations. I suggest sharing the link with students, this may help with transition overkill.

Here is link to the Microsoft website, providing a basic overview of how to create a PowerPoint presentation- it is great for beginners:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint-help/create-your-first-presentation-RZ001129842.aspx

Theresa Schmitt

I think there could be a possible hinderence if you are unable to log into their system. My school has a lot of IT issues and we have found that saving everything to a thumb drive is a safe back up.

I think it would help in the sense of having more options for students and teachers to be interactive/creative. It will also afford the students the opportunity to go back and review if they don't understand the subject matter.

I think the process of creating a presentation is usually valuable and beneficial to the student. It is the action of delivering the presentation that hinders learners. Often times students read every piece of text there is on the screen and they sound like robots. I am unsure if the students giving the presentation are actually engaged in their own presentation and I am sure that the audience is not. I think many teachers fail to teach students who to properly use Powerpoint.

Many students will associate learning new material when it is presented in a story form. It is more interesting and engaging. The added benefit of being able to embed slideshare into linkedin and facebook will make it more accessible to learners and more accepted compared to powerpoint which is often extremely boring and students become unengaged and disinterested.

Cynthia,

I agree, many do become disinterested when viewing a series of facts presented in a PowerPoint. I find students really enjoy creating presentations on a give subject, placing them into the role of instructor. This is a great way for me to assess if they understand the concepts as well.

Theresa Schmitt

I see it helpin gthe students becuase it provides such great accedd to the information that they need.

I see presentation-sharing helping my learners share technical featurs in lab projects and advise on how to avoid potential mistakes made.
I also see a hinderance in that it removes some of the learners abuility to learn for themselves through technical research not social research.
Thad said, technical information can be much easier accessed.

Hello,

Presentation sharing can be very helpful. I use to share my presentation slides at the beginning of my class but I noticed the students became less involved. They would just repeat what they saw on the power point. So, I now pass them out at the end of class.

Categories organize topics and questions that are posted by both the facilitator and the learner.

It has been my experience that any form of collaboration is a "good" form of learning. Students sometimes begin to share and actually teach their peers while encouraging new ideas they may share in my classroom and take it into other classrooms where other learners benefit.

It helps in at least two ways; it helps share information via the web (available to all), and can be used to encourage peer suggestions and feedback.

Presentation-sharing applications will provide the students with a greater assortment of learning possibilities and student interaction.

Looks like slide share can be very beneficial for ESL students too. It can be not beneficial if non applicable material is added to it.

Sign In to comment