Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Glenn ,

In your hands-on environment, I agree project-based learning(cooking based, in your case), drives home the lesson far better than any PowerPoint, once you are actually reviewing the steps in a process/technique. I would have to assume a majority of your students are tactile/kinesthetic learners.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

I teach Pastry Arts. Most of the slides were just lots of facts and information listed on the slide. I went through and added visual aids to the slides and some video. Students really liked this and adds in some interaction with the information.

SlideShare can make a more entertaining presentation. I don't think it will relay the information any clearer.

I think it can help depending on how it is used. I have my student in groups and make them look up and present it to the class as a power point. I also look for other ideas as to presation from others

SlideShare would provide an instructor the ability to offer presentations prepared by other instructors. Students tend to have different learning styles and some instructors may have a teaching style that is more amenable to certain students. I believe that having this option in a classroom would definitely expand student opportunity to learn concepts. And the fact that these presentations support PDAs means that students with busy schedules can find slots of time to study important concepts. Just from this perspective alone it is a win-win.

I love slideshare that can help instructors and students learn better. The only drawback that I can think of it right now will be that they have readymade information and they may not be understanding the slides. If they had to make their own presentation, then they would definitely be learning it better.

I am actually excited about getting ready to start this in our facility. We will be using Canvas, which I think will decrease the number of emails and memos etc, and the students will have all of the info for each course at their fingertips at the beginning of each new semester

I agree. i use powerpoint presentations to keep my lecture on task. My students enjoy knowing the subtopic for note purposes

I believe it's a great tool and resource as long as the new comer understands how to navigate and extract the needed information correctly.

Slide presentations made available for students allow students to absorb a concept at their own pace. They can return to a previous slide if they find that it is a concept they need further review. When demonstrating a process this is most helpful, as they can review each step and stop the presentation until they have acheived that step correctly.

I use powerpoints everyday in lectures to summarize information discussed at length in textbooks. Instead of using pre-made textbook-issued powerpoints, i often construct more vibrant and interactive slideshows to keep students interested.

The sharing amongst the students creates a collaborative learning experience and the stronger students really help the struggling students in an informal media, creating less peer pressure and more collaboration. Thus leading to better course outcomes.

I think incorportating slideshare would make the information more interesting and encourage the students to pay attention. Might keep their attention better.

I believe side sharing would help with student buy in.

I would like to incorporate video demonstrations that I create showing how the tasks the students are about to perform are done.

I feel that things like slideshare could really help students understand coverd topics and have he abilty to become an active participant in their learning experience.

I think slideshare would be helpful because it will save time in class and when students miss class they can still stay involved and up to date. Our students tend to learn and dump, I think if they have a way to review the material in a fun place instead of a book they will do it.

Hello Ron, That is a good point about students not showing up for class if the lectures are uploaded online with video presentations. We are required to take attendance and the student will have a percent grade decrease or be dropped from school if the reach established percentages of class absences. The audio lectures for my course are uploaded and the students are suppose to listen to them before coming to class. It is evident during class discussions and teamwork that some of the students are not prepared for class.

Peggy,

SlideShare is great because it is accessible via smart phone so students can review class material from nearly anywhere as long as they have a wifi connection.

Yours in learning,

Theresa Schmitt

share everything that you can with our students to help them to be succeful in their study as the reach their goals.if it works then use every means to make sure the students succeds in reaching
gradutaion.

Sign In to comment