Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think that presentation-sharing applications like slideshare can help learners to meet the course learning objectives. Like with all technology, it should be an enhancement to learning, not take the place of learning.

Patricia: I agree with you that power point alone is too boring. One of the professors here refers to it as "Death by Powerpoint." Students need more than just lecture notes up on the screen.

these tools provide the user with the opportunity to share a demonstration with the entire class at one time minimizing the problem of cramming students around a relatively small space where the potential exists for some students not to see the demonstration so well. Another benefit is the ability to stop and go as needed so students can comment and ask questions.

They enhance the learning process by reinforcing important concepts that are crucial in the overall understanding of each topic.

It's a great addition to any presentation!

I agree. Power point is so boring. I don't read my power points but just use them to back-up my lectures. SlideShare seems like a great alternative. Our school is going to a blended learning format shortly and I'm excited about it.

I believe that slide show/ powerpoints help students. They provide visual aid for the visual learners and audio aid the audio learners.

Power Points are just like reading text for students. Incoporating interactive slides, videos, and animation keep students interested and make the presentation enhance the course objectives and materials.

I see it as a great tool to use to keep students connected to course material. Our institute is going towards blended learning and I'm sure it will help the students achieve better scores and learn at their own pace.

teaching today is like show business, you need the entertainment and interactivity or you're gonna loose your students, use any means to keep their attention going...soon enough robots will replace teachers.

As an instructor slideshare adds a new prespective to teaching. Some of them you may have to add a few things to, but the students seem to enjoy them better than Power Points and they can add more interaction with the class.

I think it is a great idea to incorporate SlideShare to engage the students in the learning process. The only drawback I see is that when students are required to do presentations, they may not know how to use SlideShare. They will usually stick with PowerPoint.

No doubt that PowerPoint on this generation will shut them right down. Keeping them interested with multiple interactive methods is key. If I’m not sure if something I want to introduce falls within my companies usage policy I will discuss it in class and advise my students to take a look when convenient for them outside of class time.

Slideshare would be a great tool for sharing presentation on the web. It's a great way for student sto connect with others in the classroom and share ideas on projects. I love that the standard account is free too!!

Share is always a right attitude either in the social life or education. SlideShare makes big difference in the class delivery, by making the class material animated and interested. Graphics illustrates unexplained thoughts. In today technology, many applications are developed to help instructors do their job at best.

so far i think the use of slides in Power Point presentation has worked well for me. I believe it is because it removes confusion and also inspires the class to follow photos included to detail topics discussed

In my classrooms, I have a wide age range. My younger students are very comfortable using these applications, while the older students tend to get overwhelmed very easily. When this happens, the learning is only geared toward technology and not on the topic at hand.

I agree, we MUST keep the audience engaged. There's nothing worst than losing the class during an important and sometimes complicated subject. Slide Share seems like it will keep their attention as well as help us to be more creative.
Testing frequently will let us know if the students are really learning, regardless of the format we choose to use to deliver the information.

Tonya,

I agree! Personally, I like to quiz at the top of each class, via polling, short ten-question quiz, or otherwise to ensure the material from the previous session was retained. I grade immediately, then review any questions I feel need reviewing.

Best,

Theresa Schmitt

I agree. Pictures are worth a thousand words. If they can visualize things, I believe it will stick with them better.

Sign In to comment