Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

James,

Your point about collaboration is spot on. Collaboration of students has numerous benefits to learning. However, in my experiences with slideshare, I find a collaboration among teachers just as beneficial. With all of the great lessons out there, there is no need to re-invent the wheel. Simply tailor a pre-existing lesson to our own context and school culture, and return the favor when you create an outstanding lesson. I think this is the future, teachers will become experts at picking and choosing what content will be worthwhile to accomplish specific learning objectives. And already the choices on the internet are overwhelming. Sites like slideshare help organize that data and provide a spring board for teachers to find out what other educators are using in their classrooms.

Its one of the best tools since it provides a lot of resources and work thats already has been done and one can make use of those and make best prsentation and then make ir available to others to get benefitted.

SlideShare is a tool that will help the students become more engaged in class. As such, the students will have a greater opportunity to retain the material.

I think they make it easier to keep track of presentations and make them more collaborative. They can also be kept current more easily being that multiple instructors have access.

i think that shifting content online is a great means to enhance student understanding if it is understood by students that this is a supplement to the classroom experience. The risk that students review materials and assume they do not have to show up for class is one of those lurking shadows that plagues us all. One possible solution is to have students review the presentation before class, and use it to supplement inclass discussions.

I'm interested in looking at more advanced versions of presentation-sharing apps, but in the meantime the Google Page(s) I have that are pre-formatted for education pages have a slideshow feature that links to the Google slideshow apps. Unfortunately, they're transitioning away from the Picasa-based app (& plug-in) that was so much easier to use.

Its Google-based replacement is barely compatible with the Google Pages, which the slideshow was designed to use with Picasa, which is very sad. I hate it when they abandon useful technology.

On the other hand, being able to draw directly on a diagram is a handy thing! With a more high-tech approach, I would have to make sure I have a tablet and make sure the presentation software has a way to draw on the picture.

I used an overhead projector when the school's only digital projector was busted (a few weeks to order a bulb!) and it was a handy backup. The pain of course was to go to Kinko's to make a bunch of transparencies.

We exclusively use PowerPoint presentations and I know students get bored. There are a lot of videos and some "non-technological" interactive opportunities (group work, discussion questions), but I think we can use more videos to help students get the point. I know we use YouTube a lot, but I'm curious if there are any other video sharing sites we can get credible information from?

My former high school English teacher uses Google Docs for his classes, and I think it's brilliant. This helps decrease the "I ran out of paper, I couldn't print it, I ran out of ink, the library is closed" excuses of handing in papers.

As I understand the capabilities of SlideShare, it certainly enhances presentation sharing and availability to students and constituents. Technologies such as SlideShare offers the benefit and protects against technical problems that may arise from accessing an LMS system, or problems associated with the user's computer in attempting to open presentations since such presentations are launched from within SlideShare, hence presentations can be embedded on a blog or wiki to share with others. The only concern that one may consider is the level of comfort users must have with technology in order to productively navigate through such sites or applications.

I think slide share is a great way to minimize the preparation time for presenting topics. This way the instructor is able to spend more time on delivery and additional content. This helps to reduce the number of times we are reinventing the wheel.

I believe any new or novel technology has the potential to further engage the student.

I haven't tried any media other than Power point. I'm really interested in trying out Slide share, though. It sounds like it would definitely keep the class interested and paying full attention using video and such. I'll have to try it out.

I think slide share would be a great addition to a powerpoint. I have also worked with Captivate and articulate to enhance a powerpoint. I have also found that if there are interactive activities the presentation is much more effective

I always share my slides with my students so that they have the notes available digitally for access at home when working on homework. I use the online Portal provided by the school for each course but I can see how SlideShare would help students access the slides from anywhere using smartphones. Missing class is one big reason I do this. Having the slides online helps learners access the material they missed, follow along easier when in class, and some (although rare) may look through them in advance and have prepared some good questions.

It is great I a remote class environment like online, many times linking power points to the Blackboard shell is clumsy this system smooth's out the wrinkles

I love to use new technology within my classroom. The issue is that not all technology belongs in the classroom. It is up to the instructor to fully understand the technology and find ways to adapt it to the class needs. Slideshare is a great tool. It would not work for many of my classes since I demonstrate software.

M@

I think it would be very helpful as well as refreshing to the students by making it more exciting and applicable to their needs. this makes it more engaging.

I think that presentation sharing can be good and bad. I think its a grear idea for students to be able to slideshare with their instructors; however, if that same access to share is granted to fellow students, this cn become a grave problem.

tools to incorporate web accessibility, audio and visual effects

presentations can be shared by sending a link

collaborative editing to add info from multiple users

dynamic presentations such a Prezi creating more interaction and discovery

truly rich experience, tutorials

include valuable resources for educators

All above threads allow dynamic, engaging presentations with formative feedback from the instructor and student peers. Students actively apply and synthesize material that is presented.

In my school we use power point that are used throughout the entire corporate schools and they are there to be used or not. This slideshare format looks really great to keep the students engaged in the topic of discussion. Personally I do not use power points too often as I have them problem solve the techniques of cooking in small groups, which keeps them more engaged with me and students are not afraid to ask questions.

Sign In to comment