Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I love this idea. I use PowerPoint often to cover the vast amount of material that I know is in their textbooks. I provide access to PowerPoint to the students, otherwise, they try to right down every word on each page, and miss the discussion. I also am discouraged by the fact that the majority of the students do not read the textbook, and show up to the class unprepared. By requiring the students to review the PowerPoint prior to class, which for some classes like Pharmacology is a basic outline of the chapter, and having discussions, videos, and other activities as part of the classroom time, would make the time more enjoyable for the students, and hopefully allow them to retain the information better.

I agree that you have to keep the students interests and by including audio and video students relate best to the information you are trying relay on the topic of the lesson planned.

Too often we forget how significantly teaching practices shape learning experiences and PowerPoint is a perfect example. It has redefined “what a lecture looks like, consists of, and how it’s experienced,” Add to that how regularly PowerPoint is used these days. From my research, I have found that presentation sharing could be viewed as both a helper and a hindrance. It can be viewed as a helper because depending on the subject being taught at the time, it has provided very detailed information that is related to the course work. I can see this as a hindrance because most instructors tend to fully rely on powerpoint presentations instead of incorporating other means of learning within the classroom. To me this could be a handicap not only for the instructors but the students as well.

I foresee 2 hindrances, either the individual using the app is not computer savvy and loses interest or the computer or device will not support it. Otherwise, I see this being a very useful tool for all learning styles. Those that need some more time can review and have it read to them, so that they may focus more on remembering the information and being able to apply it

I don't have much knowledge (right now) with using slideshare, however with the newer versions of PowerPoint allowing you to imbed videos and create more interesting presentations it is still a tool I will use.

I can see how it could help because students have the option to view the presentation outside of the classroom. By seeing it in the classroom and reviewing outside of the classroom, the student has time to write down any questions that he or she might have over the subject that is being presented.

I am not a fan of PowerPoint because a lot of pertinent information is omitted from the slides that accompany our text. I sometimes use the slides along with the textbook to break the monotony in the room.

I see presentation-sharing as helping. it gives the students a visual outlook on the material that are being discussed.

I will be blunt - I really dislike PowerPoint. Now, I know my dislike is a result of many individuals misusing it, but still, I find it very stale. Prezi and Slideshare, on the other hand, I can see having great potential in the classroom. I believe the best way to communicate information is through storytelling. With these programs and others, the platform exists for students to get creative - to tell the story. The more senses involved the better, my opinion. The pride in ownership in developing the content is also priceless.

Slideshare sounds like a great option. I have just recently mastered powerpoint, time for change I guess.

Sign In to comment