Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Go slowly!

Working with ELL students can be difficult at times but very rewarding for those who take the time to teach them.  Having different cultures and backgrounds can be challenging but it will make you a better instructor in the end.

My ESL class has only native Spanish speakers.  I'm open to input regarding a bilingual approach, compared to an English immersion approach.

I learned that ESL learners have special considerations due to their lack of English proficiency.  The question becomes if the pre-requisite of a program required English proficiency (nursing programs) mandated by the state, why does English speaking learners with communication deficits with the standard English given the same considerations.  I'm thinking first generation students, those who speak with a southern drawl and who may use difference phrases and terms.  

The ESL learner may be deficit in English, medical terminology and nuances of their profession which makes it hard to acquire the knowledge in a timely fashion.  How do we manage this contradiction?

The question becomes is this considered a disability? Are we saying one size fits all.  I"m asking because I have taught strong ESL learners and some not so strong as our English speaking students.  Do we progress students who can't meet the English proficiency requirements for their profession?

It may take years for English Language Learners to master the English language.

ELL have difficulty beomcing proficient in the language, it's not an overnight process.

ELL learners are a significant part of our student body, It is important for us to respect the cultural differences and to make sure that the students grasp what is being taught. At the same time anyone who comes here from a foreign country must also take it upon themselves to learn the language. It does not do anyone favors to avoid addressing a language barrier. 

I studied in Europe, and a lot of classes were held  in a dictation style, it was upon me to learn to read and write and keep up with the class. if I fell behind I had to look for tutors to help me understand the academic language. 

It is important for teachers to realize ELL students obstacles.

Learn to adapt our classes for all levels

It is much harder for ELL students to learn content when they do not have the English skills necessary.  Plan to take time teaching necessary background language necessary

It is equally important that ELL students are accommodated with a scaffolded instruction of learning and procesing the english language.

Patience will play a role in teaching ELL students.

It is important to know the background of your students.

It's important to continually remind ourselves of the acute differences between conversational English and academic language/vocabulary needed for classroom success. It's easy to forget the difference exists when you can have a casual conversation but then see someone struggle in a different area. 

I learned that it is not a quick process for ELL student to learn the language and it can take several years. 

I've had other students make fun of students for not knowing inches to feet and I have to remind them (and myself) that many students use other systems.  It's interesting to think about the amount of time required to do well academically and how strong English can make one incorrectly believe the student has no difficulty.

Teaching cooking, thankfully, breaks down some of the language barrier found in other types of coursework.

English Language Learners may be able to verbally communicate because it is a social necessity, but may have difficulty reading and writing English. Cultural considerations must also be taken into account when teaching the student.

Although ELL students may have great conversational skills, they might still find the course content difficult.

Sign In to comment