Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Disabilities | Origin: ED201

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Students with Disabilities in the Classroom --> Learning Disabilities

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

In this section, I now have a better understanding of the different forms of learning disabilities.  With the information provided to accommodate, I will be able to adjust the classrooms to not only recognize when there is an issue but meet the needs of the students that are struggling.

Samantha

From this module I learned that there are several accommodations a teacher can make for students with learning disabilities and ADHD. They can let another student help with notes, move them closer to the instrucor, you can use audio and visual technology and give them more time to work. 

This section has given me more insight on the various types of disabilities and a few more accommodations that can be used to help students who might miss key parts of instruction due to their disability. 

I a firm believer in peer help and will continue to use that in class with the added option of note-sharing/comparing.

I UNDERSTAND THAT A LEARNING DISABILITY DOES NOT MEAN A STUDENT CAN'T LEARN, IT ONLY MEANS THAT THEY  - AS WELL AS THE TEACHER, HAVE TO APPROACH THE PROCESS WITH A DIFFERENT LEVEL OF CREATIVITY THAT WILL ENABLE AND ENHANCE THE RETENTION AND ATTENTION SPAN OF SAID STUDENT, AND THAT THEY COULD BE DEFICIENT IN MORE THAN ONE AREA.

Patience is key when dealing with students who have ADHD. Also, we should take time to get to know them and understand some of their personal tendencies and professional expectations of us as educators. 

Clearly students with learning disabilities can be high achievers.  There are numerous resources to aide in their success:  providing instructions verbally and in writing; having student listen to textbook in audio format; having student sit close to instructor & breaking tasks into smaller steps.

I have learned ADD/ADHA more in detailed and I appreciate the detailed examples of how to accommodate their needs. Allowing longer test time and to take it in a separate and quiet place is a very doable modification for test taking.

students with disabilities require a different/non traditional approach when it comes to course instruction. Some patience is required from the instructor as well as the fellow classmates.

Once again it is important to meet the persons needs who has a specific accomodation or disability. It requires attention, patience andunderstanding so that the student is not only successful in the classroom but also comfortable and not being ridiculed or talked down to.

I have learned what types of accommodations students with ADD/ADHA may need. Some include the following:

1. Giving directions in writing.

2. Allowing a longer time for tests.

3. Encouraging the student to sit near the source of instruction.

Students with disabilities are not limited to what they learn they just need assistance in achieving the course goals.

I have learned that no matter what disabilty one may have , they all can be high achievers and often find ways to compensate for their learning disabilities to become successful learners.

Reducing the stigma of disability, allowing students with disabilities to perform to the best of their abilities with accomodations provided, there are no limites to what they can learn. All that is needed is support from the instructor and from the school. 

I have learned there are many differnt forms of learning disabilities. Just because you have a disability does not mean you can't be successful in life.  There are accomidations to assist and make learning successful! 

This section has been helpful in recognizing student behaviors and understanding the student may have difficulty controlling them. I can see how moving the student's seat, giving directions multiple ways, or letting them write/type/use a calculator could help with certain disorders.

I better understand that a student with a disability doesn't mean the student can't learn, they just learn and process differently than others. I believe that seating and the peer helper system really make a difference in my classroom and I will continue to use those. 

In this section, I learned a number of ways to assist students who have learning disabilities, such as dyslexia, ADD, ADHD, certain hearing and visual impairments and many others. There are a number of different resources and tactics that can be used to assist these students. 

It is important to know your stakeholders in order to best serve them.  A student with a learning disability deserves as much opportunity to learn as any other.

It's helpful to see the different types of learning disability's broken down and seeing that the accommodations vary greatly depending on the way that the students struggle to learn.  Sometime we try to cluster it into one big column I think.

Sign In to comment