Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I go back to my previous post as I still see the evolution as being less a statement of a particular generation and more a reflection of the technology and tools available to people. As Boomers are dropped into the latest iterations of technology, I watch them adapt in ways reflective of Gen Z... that piece of how do I take this information and apply it to my current needs? creates the sense of urgency. My husband, a Boomer, 'hates technology' UNTIL he finds that purpose and then he's hooked... streaming videos all night long. Or he uses the spreadsheets I create for our business to save him hours of manual calculations. Or he adopts an automated booking system and computerized inventory system for work. My other friend from the Silent Genearation is a social media addict who stays alive by connecting daily to her family across the distance. I truly believe that making the space for people to be human - no matter what our learning enviornment allows education to be both effective and personalized. Folks advocate for what they need when given the support and safety to do so. I simply believe we live in a time sufficiently fortunate to combine the latest tools in a postpandemic world to advance learning in ways that can be truly amazing. 

Yet, this all doesn't account for positions of privilege - financially or racial constructs that accompany the generations and further complicate the limitations and biases perpetuated by each generation. The past several years have introduced a world to a post factual use of information in ways that is harmful to ALL generations and preys in particular on folks who came from the Silent and Boomer generations who embraced blind following and conformity. Where we evolve beyond these matters will be more interesting to see, I believe, and will also impact subsequent learning and even the legitimacy of publicly funded education, if they are not addressed well. 

This module highlighted the need to make technology relevant and useful.  It can be a help or a hindrance if not used in purposeful, meaningful ways.  Even though earlier generations may not be as comfortable with using technlogy at first, they can realize its usefulness if it can be demonstrated to make life easier or convenient in meaningful ways.  Because the younger generations have always interacted with technology, they don't need to be shown how to use it, but do still need to be shown how it is relevant to their lives.  In short, we are all now surrounded by technology in our day-to-day lives, but we still have to find meaning and relevance in its use for it to be truly beneficial to us.

I find it interesting on how different generations learn differently.  This course is helping me understand those ways and how to teach different generations.

One of the best "perks" of being a baby boomer teacher, is that many of my students teach me current event, expressions and technological applications.

It was nice to revisit the learning methods that each generation prefers.  This helps me after the introduction phase to pause and readapt my instruction and lay out a plan to reach each generation.  This is accomplished by using different learning methods such as multimedia, collaborative groups, and working independently. 

Reply to Julie Williams's post: Thank you for your example using your husband. I can relate as I see using technology can speed up the process. I'm processing what you meant by the legitimacy of public education.  I am a product of public education when it was structured for success for each cohort of students.  After mandated integration things changed and when Caucasian parents would not send their children to inner-city schools, that was the star of the changing curriculum of the schools.  Prior each school had a curriculum that included college-bound, arts bound, a career in office education, or distributive education.  Additional courses in woodshop, homemaking, etc.  Thereby, each student regardless of their GPA had a place to become a productive citizen.   The inner city schools became speciality schools e.g. college-bound, art focus and then the parents sent their children to the now prestigious schools in the inner city. 

The US is one of the few countries that have free education.  I hope it is revamped and not lost to the private sector. 

Students from different generations can help each other to be more successful learners: generations X, Y, and Z can help Boomers and Greatest Generation learners with technology, and Boomers and GG learners can help the younger ones with dense reading assignments and lecture notes.

I found this to be a particularly interesting module. I work at a very non-traditional institution, so we get a very diverse age-range in our student population. Knowing how each generation prefers to learn will be really helpful when I'm working on my content delivery and class work.

Across generational gaps, educators must learn to understand students needs and find methodology that enhance learning

The generational differences really have an impact on learning and cannot be overlooked. Knowing your class make-up and working to meet their learning needs is our responsibility as a facilitator of learning.

Learing different methos to teach in the classroom 

very valuable information

Each cohort has different preferences in their learning styles. Our lessons should be planned based on the students in the classrooms and we must consider how they learn.

I always was curious about individual learning styles and preferences, but it has never crossed my mind to consider generational styles and preferences. This somehow makes my job a lot more difficult as I try to be thoughtful to all generation on learning delivery methods. 

In this module I learned about the different generations and their learning style.  It is important to learn about your own generation and this can assist you to learn how to teach other generations.  I found the information on Generation "y" and"Z" the most interesting because they are the youngest students who are attending college at this time. 

This module help me to envision different ways of inclusion. 

I think I am going to try to have the generation y and z help teach eachother...this way i know they are reading the material but also grasping it.

Understanding the type of Generation falls into are helpful what the Students are strong on and can understand the Lecture.    Susan E. 

Having the knowledge to know the different learning styles is very helpful.

Different generations have different approaches to learning. It is good to be aware of these differences.

Sign In to comment