Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Knowing the stages that students go through as they acquire reading skills is helpful in understanding how students with learning disabilities are in need of supports if they are going to be successful in transitioning from just seeing letters on a page to understanding the words and their meanings.

It is important to be aware of all learning disabilities.

Having a learning disability does not mean you CAN"T learn, it just means it may take a little longer or different approaches.

Learning disabilities are different for the individual students so you have to different styles of teaching. 

How to teach students with disabilities. 

I have always been fascinated by how people learn to read and this section really helped me understand more. 

This module has helped me to became more aware about the characteristics of students with learning disabilities and the challenges that they may face. Also, by breaking down and understanding language, speaking, and reading, teachers may be able to better support students with these learning challenge sand enhance learning.

In this first module I learned that a learning disability is a diagnosable disability that is the result of challenges in brain functions and processing and if students withe learning disablities going to be successful in transitioning from just seeing letters on a page to understanding the words and their meanings.

I have a grandson with ED with math but very bright in other subject how can I help him?

 

In this section it reaffirmed about memoriaztion in early stages of learning the alphabet and words.

In this section I learned about the stages of reading and how this might be difficult to someone with a learning disabiity. I also learned that 10% of the population suffers from a learning disability. 

 

Very informative. Understanding the foundation of reading skills is crucial when it comes to students with learning disabilites. Addressing these challenges early on can make an impact in the success of the student. 

It is great to be reminded of the reasons why students may have difficulty reading. 

 

How to approach students with learning disabilities and use different strategies to better teach them.

 

Learning disabilities do not mean that a student can't learn. It just means they learn differently than others. It may take different strategies or instruction to reach them. 

 

The misunderstanding of people with disabilities hit home.  Even though I know that lazines and lack of motivation is a misunderstanding, it always a good reminder.

 

I found it interesting to learn more about Phonemic Awareness and how it relates to reading skills. 

 

It is interesting to learn the history of learning disabilities and how students learn to read. By knowing this information, I will be able to work with students who struggle with reading and understand the problems they encounter. Knowing the importance of phonemics will assist me as well as I endeavor to modify their work.

 

In the first module I have learned that learning disablities are not outgrown. While it is implied that students get all the help they need in lower levels of education, I have experienced that not to be true.  I will try to find ways to help students become aware of the possiblities of learning blocks, and try to find ways to get them the help they need to be successful in the post secondary level of education. 

 

I was facinated by the levels of phoenimics.

 

Sign In to comment