Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

That some people learn differently and have different struggles. You have to be patient with them and offer solutions and tips to help.

I did not learn new information, bc I have 2 daughters at home with dyslexia. All this is a repeat. I was surprised, however, that approximately 10% of the population has a type of learning disability. 

It was interesting to think about the stages of alphabetic learning and to learn that most Americans are reading at the 8th-grade level.  Being equipped with this knowledge can be powerful when implementing UDL in the classroom, specifically with reading assignments and how those assignments are being accessed by students.  Being aware that learning disabilities can impact individuals differently is something that all instructors should have in mind in order to  identify when a student may be in need of further support.  Additionally, it is important to have an understanding of the accommodations that specific students have been approved to receive and how they will be implemented within the classroom and testing.

I learned about the different stages of reading.

From the module on Introduction to Learning Disabilities, I’ve learned about the different types of learning disabilities, including dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, and auditory processing disorder. I’ve also learned about the signs and symptoms of learning disabilities, as well as strategies for supporting individuals with learning disabilities in the classroom and in other settings.

I intend to apply this knowledge by being more aware of the signs of learning disabilities in students and by implementing strategies to support their learning. This may include providing alternative ways of presenting information, offering additional time for assignments and tests, and creating a supportive and inclusive learning environment.

I found it to be very intersting that there were different phases to learning disabilities. I would like to expand my knowledge more on the different phases of learning disabilities, as well as apply this knowledge to how I teach students with disabilities.

I have two sons with neurologic struggles that I work with every day and one of them is that it is very hard or difficult for him to stay on task when not interested.  yelling and anger do not work.

I plan to become more aware of Learning disabilities and become more active so the student will be successful.

How to approach students with learning disabilities.

I never knew about the specific phases of learning letters, shapes, and sounds to read. It is interesting to know about specific problems. I knew that learning disabilities were many and varied depending on the part of the of the brain affected.

Sign In to comment