Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In this first module I learned that a learning disability is a diagnosable disability that is the result of challenges in brain functions and processing and if students withe learning disablities going to be successful in transitioning from just seeing letters on a page to understanding the words and their meanings.

This module has helped me to became more aware about the characteristics of students with learning disabilities and the challenges that they may face. Also, by breaking down and understanding language, speaking, and reading, teachers may be able to better support students with these learning challenge sand enhance learning.

I have always been fascinated by how people learn to read and this section really helped me understand more. 

How to teach students with disabilities. 

Learning disabilities are different for the individual students so you have to different styles of teaching. 

Having a learning disability does not mean you CAN"T learn, it just means it may take a little longer or different approaches.

It is important to be aware of all learning disabilities.

Knowing the stages that students go through as they acquire reading skills is helpful in understanding how students with learning disabilities are in need of supports if they are going to be successful in transitioning from just seeing letters on a page to understanding the words and their meanings.

Did really know that there are different levels of reading.

I understand the importance  Phonemic Awareness my question when does it get discovered by instructors? How does that student get  help to correct it?  

It was interesting to read and examine the stages of reading. It also made me understand those with a reading disability more and how to help them in my classroom.

Students with learning disabilities are varied and need an instructor who understands their struggles and is willing to provide supports or modifications for them to learn the content in a method that they can understand. 

I understand the importance of the steps it takes to be able to read. 

The biggest takeaway for me is that learning disabilities and dyslexia and reading difficulties are not always one in the same. The takeaway was the extreme disadvantage a student is put in if they miss a level in reading and it goes unchecked. It's easy to forget it is not magic to learn how to do something like spell and read in chunks there were steps to it, and if a student missed that step he/she is automatically at a disadvantage and has to be taught correctly to catch up.

Having an uncle with special needs, this hits very close to home. I wonder if any of these concepts were considered with him when he was in the school in the 70's. I appreciate the new perspectives i have gained. 

My son had learning disability and delay mental processing. I learned a lot from him. I believe the misconceptions about learning disability need to be avoided to help individual learn better.

I learned about the hx of learning disabilities. 

Be patient and try to understand how student's with learning disabilities learn differently. Try to understand and figure out ways that you can help. 

I have many students with learning disabilities so this is very helpful. 

Interesting to hear about the specific difficulties they encounter 

Sign In to comment