Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) | Origin: ED130

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching Students with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder --> Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have learned the different ways of PTSD onset, the behavioral symptoms and variations of the disorder.

Teaching students with PTSD is a process depending upon the form of PTSD, and whether or not there are varying occuring or re-occuring symptoms which may mimic laziness, and attitude. 

Taking time with students with PTSD, understanding their symptoms and their challenges can make it easier for them and the instructor in successful classroom perfomance. Also, suggesting further care for symptoms management, with knowledge, understanding and respect can allow for the student to not feel alienated and may provide assistance with their initiation attempts.

Recognizing the effects of TBI and PTSD isn't easy.  Getting your students to open up about what barriers may come from these issues is also challenging.  This module has defined some symptoms associated with both that I hadn't realized as of yet.  This information will help me better assess where these barriers may inhibit the success of the students in my class, as well as help me more quickly identify those students affected.  Understanding more about some of the side effects could also help me better assist my students in their training requirements necessary to complete my course successfully.

It has some really good information. Also the sign and symptoms commonly seen.

I have learned a lot about the different types of PTSD onset. It is important to get to know your student that has PTSD to make sure that you are helping to make their life easier instead of adding additional stress to their life. TBI's are caused by trauma to the brain. I wonder how many TBI's go unnoticed within high school football and how that can lead to Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). 

There are so many striking statistics and symptoms related to PTSD and TBI.  This information reinforces the need for me as the teacher to be patient with students who are struggling with these types of conditions.

This portion is very informative and has enlightened me

TBI & PTSD are different.  Typically, TBI is caused by direct

physical trauma whereas PTSD does not require direct

physical trauma.

While TBI and PTSD have some similarities, they are quite different afflictions. I plan to implement this knowledge by reviewing all of my current IEP's to determine how I can best assist these students.

I feel that it is always so important to understand where someone is coming from. The rapport you build with a person and knowing some history about them will always help in knowing how to deal with them. So if they have had an accident and suffered TBI or are coming from a traumatic background.

I hadn't seen the compare/ contrast approach to PTSD and TBI. I'd seen them separately, and this made their differences more apparent. It also seemed to give a bit of an enroad to connection - particularly with the TBI affected. PTSD seems to need more support than most of us can provide in a public school setting. However, the potential for suicide seems to be the biggest consideration.

I agree, I appreciate the comparison/contrast between TBI and PTSD, it provides a better understanding as to why a student might be engaging in a particular behavior- and that it's a manifestation of a disability rather than a conscious choice

While these two conditions can co-exist, it is important to understand the differences. I have seen a lot of the behaviors outlined in teh PTSD category in a lot of both students and family members.

Students with a TBI or who have PTSD may exhibit symptoms that manifest as anger problems, anxiety, and depression. In the case of anger concerns, it is important for educators to be aware of how to use de-escalation techniques to diffuse potentially volatile situations and provide the opportunity for students to take a break when they need one. 

It was nice to see the comparison and contrast between the two categories.  The statistics were hard to bear especially when it came to children.  This knowledge made me more empathetic to the young adult in college who may be experiencing residual effects of childhood trauma.  

I will continue to implement my practice of nonjudgmental of student behaviors as I do not know their background of experiences.  It is important for educators to understand there is always a back story and it is our role to offer a non-threatening environment for learning.  I have worked with veterans as nursing students.  We partner and I provide a safe environment to disclose when they are feeling anxious and the need for a time out. I have been blessed that the organizations I have worked for have military support where students can be referred.  

I plan to introduce these two categories at the Fundamental level of nursing in the context of empathy and therapeutic communication. 

I've taught TBI for years and had never seen the compare/contrast with PTSD.  Super informative!!  Thank you

I learned the difference between PTSD and TBI. PTSD is a mental problem causing heightened reaction to events due to previous exposure while, TBI is a structural injury to the brain causing mental cognitive and memory problems. Distiguishig this two is important in planning how to approach them in the learning process.

The difference beteween PSDT and TBI, how it can affect an individual and how to recognize each condition. Theier  possible casues and consecuences.

I gained insight into the similarities and differences of TBI and PSDT.  The results manifest differently in each person.  

how to handled learning curves when it has to do with students dealing with PTSD and learned the behavior it causes

Sign In to comment