Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

That TBI and PTSD can be concurrent and can cause similar symptoms

For me it was interesting to note the similarities and differences between TBI and PTSD effects. Considering the intersectionality of these two conditions, it is clear that students experiencing both TBI and PTSD will require significant support to be successful in the classroom. Having taught students with TBI (very prevalent among student athletes) I do know that the recovery can be a long process and it seems that this diagnosis is often misunderstood by teachers and administrators. It is important for 504 teams to quickly develop an appropriate response so that all of the student's teachers understand the challenges that the student is experiencing and can make appropriate accomodations for the student. 

Ive learned tbi contributes to about 23% of mild tbi and causes headaches, fatique, depression is common and about 11% of military 

I learned the differences between ptsd and tbi.

I have learned how to identify warning signs and accomodate for students diagnosed with PTSD. 

TBIs can have many consequences.

The faculty in instructor role may experience challenge in managing the personality changes in a adult learner. The faculty instructor should maintain a environment that is focused on educational objectives and refrain the topics that are emotionally laiden or unrelated to instructional objectives.

The adult learner may have experienced Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) in the past, as a part of playing sports, or may have been in a car accident, or falls. Retention of information could be a issue while learning activities. Instructor may encounter the adult learner struggling to control mood, may show signs of being depressed, may become irritable. 

If I witness a student struggling to understand the material and I see that there are some triggers. I will work with this student and help them over come the learning curve.

This section continues to inform of the differences of TBI and PTSD. I didn't know about the difficulties each comes with.

Ive gained some insight as to how TBI can affect the individual in more than one aspect. Depression, anxiety, and PTSD all play equal roles.

I have learned the differences between PSDT and TBI, as well as how it can affect an individual and how to recognize each condition.

Sign In to comment