Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Brant,
case studies are a great way to engage the gen y learners & help them learn.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

LaMikka,
this is an excellent way to help the Gen Y learners develop solid critical thinking skills.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Keep your lectures under 20 minutes, be very dynamic in your presentations, make them feel comfortable when engaging them with a question.
Use training aids, play interactive games as it relates to the material being covered. Heavy on Socratic approach. Assign group projects with due times/dates. They love things like this. They learn a lot and they never forget "that" class.
GenY learners are 80% entertainment, 20% technical as far as information transfer.

I use Socractic method daily. I occasionaly give them a few mins to look up what we are discussing on their phones, tablets and then we proceed with the discussion.

I like to challenge the students to research the answers to questions posed in class.

Hands on experience seems to be what works in a technical environment. If they hear about a topic, See the material that makes it work then touch the topic, their retention seems to last longer and keeps their attention on task

Donald,
this is definitely true & an angle we need to emphasize. The hands on, experiential learning really is key.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Donald,
this is definitely true & an angle we need to emphasize. The hands on, experiential learning really is key.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

We have tech links for the bikes we work on and they do really well in retrospect from taking this course. I now know why they are more engaged when the lecture is short and they have the hands on equipment faster and they start learning at a pace which fits the needs they are looking for. This has been a great insight to GEN Y.

Jeffery,
glad it's been helpful. And yes, we don't necessarily have to lessen the content, just think of different ways of presenting it.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Teachers can engage Generation Y learners by empowering their educational learning by using the technology available to them that they are familiar with. By placing current, and relevant technology as a tool in their learning experience, they feel like they can interact with the material in terms that they understand, and it helps connect the material with rest of the world through the technology they have grown up using.

Allow them to use the technology to help with learning as long as the course objectives are meet.

Although the sentiment here is spot on, the delivery is dated. They do not want to be "made" to do anything. I see the challenge as creating the "want" in them to learn and excel. By understanding their unique culture and structuring the learning environment to embrace and elaborate on that will the Gen Y'er be motivated to learn and achieve.

Gen Y learners need engagement and involvement not entertainment. They are hands on and want to be involved not passively. Creating lessons where they are actively involved makes them feel as if they are in control of their education. Its best to explain the "why" of what you are asking of them and what is in it for them.

Showing the benefits of learning the information and how it will effect them personally seems to help for me. They've got to have the 'buy in' otherwise they couldn't care any less about whats being taught. Demonstrating and explaining how the latest technology can assist them in the learning process seems to also relate to what they're interested in.

Case scenarios work on a variety of levels. Not only do they give students the ability to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, they also help them develop professional approaches to their projects.

What has worked for me when educating Generation-Y learners is the use of games in the classroom especially for review. The students seemed to me more engaged and I feel they retain the information better.

Stephen,
yes, helping them see the "why" of the importance of the information is key.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Julie,
absolutely & they help them get excited for their chosen career field.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Some great strategies for engaging Gen Y learners is to practice experiential learning. Short mini-lectures followed by an activity with lots of opportunities for discussion and dialogue are helpful. Using technology as an adjunct to the learning process comes naturally to the Gen Y, but the emphasis needs to be on developing critical thinking skills.

Sign In to comment