Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Asking a lot of questions to the students seems to help them stay focused.

On some review subjects, I like to actually let a student come to the front of the class and teach.

Martin ,
I too have found that Gen Y seems to really appreciate discussions.

Dr. Ryan Meers

But does this really prepare them for a business enviroment?

I always have several topics ready to discuss with my students. This seems to help with discussions on material.

I am fortunate that I still work full-time in the field and I am an instructor on a part time basis. This gives me the opportunity to share recent experiences that directly relate to what they are learning. It give me credibility and tends to keep them interested.

I often start class by telling my students stories of what happened at work over the weekend.

Jeremy,
yes this generation seems to really respond well to those real life experiences.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Theresa,
yes the more variety we can incorporate the better.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I ask qquestions and call on a student to answer the question then I ask what does someone else think before I give the answer. By doing this I get more involvement form the class

Yes, definitely no more than 5 in a group. Works great in my class.

Scott,
I agree that 5 really should be the top number.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I like to add personal experiences and thoughts while lecturing material. It lets the students know that I do know what I am talking about and it gives a value to what I am teaching.. they will be able to use it when they are done with the program. I like to ask open ended questions and then have students respond and "feed off" of one another. When a student asks a question, before just giving them the answer, we discuss the question and get feed back from others in the class (not making the person asking the question feel like it was a dumb question) and get everyone involved in the answers.

I also teach culinary students, but it's a course they're SURE they'll never need. I explain to them that they will need to know these things if they want to make it to Sous Chef or Exec Chef, but they can't see past graduation. The "future" to them is sometime next week -- they can't even imagine 6 months from now, let alone next year. I think I'll try to get some former students to come in and talk to them to help them see why this is important.

Useing systems they no and high light the good things they do with them.

Julia,
yes, hearing from recent grads who can speak to the importance of these topics is very helpful in emphasizing the need.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Conversation is key. Make them a part of the process. Using open ended questions and ask for their input. Being brought up in an environment where they have always been told how unique they are it is natural for them to expect everything. As I recently heard one say regarding access to information, "We don't want everything for free, we just want everything." With that mindset in mind I try and make all of my experiences open to them, trying to answer their questions as honestly as I can. Treating them like the individuals they are.

Ted,
yes, dialogue & discussion are powerful learning tools for this generation.

Dr. Ryan Meers

when i was teaching high school the one thing that i found was that roll play seemed to work and other things like games were there were points and teams envolved

I give each of my students a small white board. I ask a question and have them race to give me the correct answer. They are allowed to use "text language" or old fashioned English to write the answers. They add comedy when trying to answer technical questions with text language. It seems to make the learning of sometimes dry, boring material more fun.

John,
yes the experiential learning & games seem to be a great way for this generation to learn.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Sign In to comment