Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dennis,

Discussions really are a great way to engage Gen Y learners.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

One of the best things to do is to have them think for them self & realizing that sometimes there needs to be a plan "b" & get away from "this is how it needs to be". Gen "Y " lacks critical thinking & problem solving since all their info is instant.

I employ several activities that utilize their smart phones. I also try showing them the relevance in everything they do by either confirming it on their truth...the internet or proving it through experimentation.

Using digital tools to reach out them work well.

Eva,
and we have a great chance to help them really develop these skills through the assignments & practices we give them.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Asking them to try to identify what their individual strengths are. After they have established this (possibly with help or coaching, and possibly without), following up with the value provided by these strengths regarding either themselves, or their team's agenda. This also benefits the instructor by exposing their individual weaknesses at the same time, which may then be useful in providing more relevant individual learning.

Some strategies include group work and team projects. I divide my class into groups and have each team work on a certain project which eventually will be gathered together complete a common goal. The advantage for Gen Y learners is their ability to communicate with each other using email, social networking, or video conferncing through venues such as Skype. They no longer have to meet at the local coffee shop or library to work together. They can conduct meetings without having to leave their homes.

Robert,
these are great ideas & great ways to help prepare them for their future careers.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I give them an assignment; have them use their phone to do quick research. Then we discuss what they found. Quite often the info they bring forth is inaccurate. Now we discuss what happens when you research something you don’t completely understand.

I think, first of all, the instructors should not be defensive about the use of technology and this view of" no cell phone, noFB, no Ipads in the class" mentality needs to be changed. It is true that learning is the same in Gen X and Y as it involves cognitive understanding and critical thinking but the delivery methods need to be adapted to the students. Hands on and participative interactive learning is the order of the day.

Allow for group work and the use of technology.

Scott,
this is a great activity as it provides that eye opener of the inaccuracy of the information & allows you to help them learn how to critically evaluate the info they find on the web.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Incorporating various teaching methods to keep the Gen Y students attention in class. Traditional methods still work great but these students need more than that. Technology, social networks, group work, etc. Things that encourage research and create an open environment for them to discuss their findings area all good options in my opinion.

The first thing I do is have them turn off their cell phones and talk to me.I like to engage them in topics they can relate to involved with the subject matter.

Gen Y learners must start thinking for themselves. They expect everyone to tell them
what to do, but only if they like it. Technology is great if they are open to learn what is needed.

Using technology is a great way to help students stay motivated, but they also need hands-on training. Since Gen-Y students are doers, they definitely want to gain knowledge by actively doing something. In addition, I believe it is equally important to allow the students to express their ideas during a class as this helps them to know that their opinions are valued.

I have much success with assigning teachbacks. Having them be creative in planning and presenting parts of the lesson seems to really get them going.

Valerie,
this is a great method for engaging these students & helping them learn the content even better.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Craig,
and it can help them refine their thinking & better articulate their opinions & positions.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I often have mini Q&A sessions throughout the lecture. I want to see where the students stand and what I can do to further engage them. The Gen Y students need a sense of multitasking. To assist this generation, I will sometimes assign in-class group projects in which they can perform research on their smart phones/tablets. The courses I teach have students from multiple generations. It is only fair to engage the other students as well, and technology is not always the answer. So when technology is not allowed I decided to go to a craft store and purchase pipe cleaners. I hand these out to any student that wants them. When a true lecture day is needed (no phones allowed), the students can focus energy on creating items with the pipe cleaners while listening to the lecture. It cuts down on chatter, the other students are able to learn, and the Gen Y students have the opportunity to multitask. So far it has worked wonders.

Sign In to comment