Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As much as the Gen Y folks love tech, getting them to not overly rely on it is quite important.

Presentations, working in groups, class discussions, a certain amount of technology in the classroom all seem to have beneficial effects. But quiet honestly the result is often superficial at best. I sometimes wonder where do we draw the line between self-indulgence and discipline? I hear this from some of the students themselves, who are annoyed with their peers for being on electronic devices in class without permission, tray arrival, not having down the weekly group assignment, being unprepared, lazy in their research (online or otherwise), etc. In other words, things I experienced myself when going through the educational process. Some things haven't changed. I could blame myself, of course, for not engaging all the students, but that's not what I hear from the students themselves or the outside faculty I invite into the course throughout the semester or even from professionals in the field who visit the class. This semester I've tried something that might be a complete disaster: I've paired weak students with weak students and kept them to groups of two. This way they can't hide amongst the stronger more vocal students, who generally dominate unless I intervene.

I think my natural teaching style works with GenY learners. I outline instructions, break activities into short stints (no more than 1/2 hour) for small groups to investigate, critique, etc. I teach graphic design so the subject matter is works well for these kinds of activities.

Beth ,
these are all great techniques to use in helping the Gen Y learners grasp the concepts.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

We also need to strive to demonstrate the relevancy of the material we teach - how is it going to be beneficial to the students.

I try to connect and engage with them on a personal level to better understand the way they learn, and to attempt to keep them engaged by directly sharing details of what I do, and how that information can impact their future as a professional. In addition, this connection may also impact the retention of the student, by (hopefully) preventing them from dropping out.

One thing I find productive is insisting on a context. When they ask for a one-size-fits-all answer, they get "It depends" followed by questions from me about the context. That often provokes some good discussion as students contribute contextual what-ifs. On the other hand, for the student who really doesn't care but just wants me to tell him to put a comma (or not), that insistence on thinking it through can become quite frustrating.

I utilize their preference for small groups, teams, and working independently. I often take objectives of the course and turn them into small group activities or team presentations.
I know that they are going to work in an environment where working as part of a team is important so it is a win-win in my classroom.

I will try to use the Performance Contract in written form instead of just discussing these issues with the individual. Maybe it will seem more of an actual requirement that they place upon themselves instead of just an abstract concept.

Gen Y students enjoy group work, so long as it is relevant, and that everyone in the group contributes to the assignment. I always ensure that preparation is made to make each student in the group able to contribute to the process, and that no one will be seen by the group as a "slacker" by the rest of the students. I do this by requiring preliminary assignments first be done, and that everyone must complete prior to being assigned to a group. This gives a buy-in aspect to being accepted to the group as important to the project.

Laura,
this is excellent as it helps them be collaborative & get hands on experience.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

This generations is coming to school with different perspective, abilities and outlooks. The differ from the traditional learners, I understand that, but the must prepare for real world and the work environment. That is not as forgiving as the classroom has to remain for now.

They seem to want to know about your relevant experiences. They are very interested in relevancy of information.

Definitely find a way to incorporate their electronic devices into the learning environment. Have them be a part of deciding goals and objectives as relates to deliverables. Engage them in contracts that articulate expectations, timelines and results that they are accountable for.

I incorporate field trips and presentations into my syllabus. The class visits several sites where they will potentially be employed. I assign groups to the different sites and ask them to visit, interview and report on intracies, nuances, experience levels and pointers from senior members of that particular site. The Gen Y'ers love the group aspect, it incorporates the "Investigative Reporter" and allows them some latitude with material and objectives that are important to them. The group then reports or presents what they have learned back to the class using Power Point.

One strategy that I use in class to engage Gen Y learners is to give other students an opportunity to comment or answer a student's question before I give a response. This allows students to feel respected and appreciated of their opinions and viewpoints.

First show them how the material of this course or lesson relates to the big picture - their career, their success, their ability to make money, their ability to meet the expectations of an employer etc.

Make lectures short and entertaining followed by involving the students in group activities or problem solving, team projects and peer evaluation.

One of the best ideas of this segment was that of requiring the student to type out their personal goals for this course, what specific actions you will take to achieve those goals and some reward being offered for specific improvement.

Giving them real life situations in which they would need to be independent and use their thought process to come up with a solution. They need to learn to be more independent.

Give the students the web tools to then research and think through specific problems. Enableing them to use the technology they are used to will have positive results.

Giving the students the freedom to investigate and learn things through the technology they are used to.

Sign In to comment