Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Aprilyn,
this is a great idea that sounds like a lot of fun. It also seems that it helps the students get introduced, in a fun way, to the available research & information in the field.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I use a number of strategies. One I just started doing but was unaware that it was one of the suggestions of this course is to show how the course will relate to their career. I teach pediatric nursing and many students come to the first class with an attitude that they will never need or use the information I teach because they do not plan to ever work with kids. So, to change this, I found a music video made by Michael Jackson called Children-heal the world. It begins by showing children from all over the world suffering. It then turns positive and the music plays "you can make a difference." Before I introduce myself I dim the lights and play the video. This gets their attention. When it is done I turn on the lights and walk to the front of the room and say "welcome to the world of pediatric nursing. My name is Shelly Quint and I am going to be your facilitator on a journey of learning. After you leave this course you will have the knowledge and skills that you need as a future nurse to make a difference in the lives of children and families. What you learn can be used all across the globe just like the video you just watched." So, far it seems to catch their attention and engage them early on.

I think that the idea of small group is great because they can learn from each other. The students can express their opinions about the topic without the instructor just lecturing. I find that students do learn better from each other than just from a lecture. Students will and can help other best by teaching each other.

One of the challenges of using technologies is explaining the connection between "cut and paste" and plagarism.

Using a variety of techniques qwithin the class period-for instance, perhaps using a powerpoint to present the basic concepts, then having some group work with presentation, giving students supplies to create poster for presentation, showing a short video and incorporating games to learn opr review information. Alwauys plan extra activities in case one takes less time than predicted.
Top off class with a discussion based on their own experiences and examples of how the newly learned information can be applied.

Clearly the use of internet resources is a big way. I routinly let them pull out their phones and research an answer to a question they just brought up. I like this not only because it keeps them in their comfort zone but also because it teached them to rely on themselves.

I like the idea of smaller groups.

Kevin,
you are very right about this. An important issue to discuss.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I like to have open ended questions. Then I let them feed off of each other for a bit, then we move on with who is correct and why.

Scott,
it really does seem that Gen Y students love the discussion & the more we can encourage it the better.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I have not tried this yet, but am interested to see whether it will make a difference in their learning/retention of info.

Encourage their ability to learn and accept the fast paced new life of being connected 24/7.

When I have a review for a test I let the students ask the questions. Each table of students will ask another table two questions. The longer it goes on the harder it gets to find questions that haven’t been asked. Students are allowed to use their course material to answer questions. Sometimes I need to elaborate or guide the answers so everyone hears the correct answer. The students love the competition and try very hard to stump everyone.

I do this right before break or lunch and see who can find the answer during this time. It makes a game out of learning

Using Internet and Social Media is a great method of engagement. Generation Y'ers will be more prone to engagement when they are utilizing familiar tools to them. They also enjoy these tools, and using them can help them feel more interested in any topic.

I like to ask some questions, then when Ihear an incorrect answer, I ask the students to explain why the answer is wrong and explain to the class why the answer that is correct is the best choice.

I use a jeopady game as part of my test review. i9 have found that givving a vague answer and having them ask the relevant question, brings out a lot more discussion and understanding of the subject matter. I have seen test scores rise a little as a result of thos activity. The students also seem to enjoy the activity and sometimes turn it into a serious competition.

I find that Gen Y students are more vocal and enjoy the open discussion time. It allows them more freedom to express their point. A word of caution though, monitor the discussions to make sure the are on task and that the discussion does not become "heated" or dominated by one person.

I agree, I make sure that our students notice that we care about their education. Sharing our personal experience with them keeps there interest.

John,
I agree that Gen Yers seem to really love the discussion & interaction.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Sign In to comment