Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Internet and Social Media is are great methods of engagement. Gen Y learners are very accustomed to nearly instant feedback. Other methods take too much time. They will be more prone to engagement when they are using familiar tools. They also enjoy these tools, and using them can help them feel more interested in any topic.

Some of the strategies to engage Gen Y learners are: use technology, give self-directed activities, show relevancy and application of material, small groups, in class presentations, debates, and short lectures.

Harry,
this generation definitely seems to favor that instant feedback.

Dr. Ryan Meers

We also have used Jeopardy at our school in some of the classes that are in relation to what they are learning. Brings up a lot of interaction amongst the students when debating the right answer. We also utilize word search and crossword puzzles. They love it and it helps to re-enforce what they are learning in a fun way.

Gen Y learners are like any learner. The will engage a subject matter that they have a personal interest in and give a half hearted effort into what they must do. That fact I have found to be consistent no what age group or generation that I have personally taught. My strategy is to make it relevant to what they will experience once the student gets into his job. I have had some feedback from student that are working now that this was helpful.

I will continue to ask students questions throughout the day to keep them engaged and this shows them that I value there thoughts and ideas.

Having them look thins up on information systems that they are unfamilure with. They enjoy the chalenge.

I do the samething I try to keep them engaged by asking questions all day long.

I always start each class with an overview of what topics we are covering and how it is directly relevant to the medical field and their specific program

I find that smaller groups do work better,if the groups are to large some students do not participate.

Learning tasks that:
let them showcase what they know
let them use technology
have variety
are fun

Allen,
the questioning approach is very useful & powerful for this group.

Dr. Ryan Meers

kevin,
I agree that the smaller groups are better. Personally I've found a group of 3-5 seems to work best.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Jason is right they need to see results now or do not see value

Gen Y Learners need to be engaged. Using varied technology engages them. All they have ever known is knowledge through technology. Power points are boring and are overused. The idea of targeting their learning through technology is exciting. I never really thoought about Skyping. I think I will try and incorporate the use of Skyping in my lessons.

I use this approach also,it seems to keep the students engaged with the topic being discussed.It aslo helps the students open up and share ideas with others.

I love the Socratic method, but I have to make sure I have good questions for them. A bad question can lead you down the wrong path...and they interact with each other so it should be guided.

Just like the old show Dragnet, Give them the facts and only the facts.
Then they will look it up on the net to varify it.

Ann Marie,
I too have found that they really appreciate these type of learning activities.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Nicole,
it really is important to have those really good, solid questions.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Sign In to comment