Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is important to be able to relate to your students.

In our Milestone Projects there are two steps which are completely written assignments, the pre-production explanation (Milestone 1) and the reflection (the final Milestone). These both call for an essay of 2 - 3 pages. What I usually receive from my students is a mixed-bag of a few excellent explanations and a slew of partial or jumbled thoughts that last a few paragraphs and then stop. Some are so full of grammatical errors that I'm, at times, unable to decipher what they are actually trying to communicate.

Now, I realize that for some of my students English is not a first language. In those cases I understand that while they can get their thoughts across conversationally, it can be a whole other challenge to put their thoughts into writing. However, for many of my students it can be pretty appalling how insufficient their language skills are.

So, when I assign the first Milestone this Mod, I've decided to take some time in class to put the seven points I just learned in this course on my board and we can all discuss the process of putting one's thoughts into writing.

Thanks, I'm glad I was exposed to this outline!

I am reminded of how important it is to discuss the written assignment during class several times. To re-visit it on several dates, and have check points with the students. 

Writing can be difficult for students and faculty, yet in different ways. The student may shy away because they may not know what to write. The faculty may find it challenging as time to grade writing assignments are time consuming.

Learning to write well can give the student more confidence in the subject matter, which will in turn give the future professional more competence. To be a good nurse, one must not only feel competent but appear as such.

This section emphasized the importance of writing and how it will help the student to learn the material through the interaction and evaluation of the instructor. 

it's important to help your students writing abilities in class which is an important tool in everyday life and the work force and is a needed skill. I can better help my students feel prepared and knowledgeable in their writing abilities by the class assignments I prepare for my students.  

I have learned that writing is important across a variety of topics. But it is important that we as CTE teachers create writing assignments and tasks that not only stimulate inquiry, but also allow them the opportunity to stregthen their skills. 

My husband always complains that many of his coworkers (in the IT field) have a hard time writing and communicating through writing. This makes it difficult for the team to understand their points and for the projects to continue and thrive. Writing is an important aspect of all areas of the workforce. 

The idea of face-to-face feedback as a way to grow strengths a little at a time would be an opportunity for me to add in real life. 

Many students are skeptical about writing because they don't understand what to write and may be scared of criticism from others.  Technical students sometimes don't feel writing is important, but it is.

Many students come to us without adequate writing skills. It's critical to be able to present as a professional, and to state something accurately and clearly.

It is imperative to provide a welcoming and positive environment for students to have the want and drive to pursue different writing styles and understand the use of writing skills will be implemented throughout their future careers and lives.

Writing with proper grammar and structure is difficult for many people. There are resources such as Grammarly which can help, but the student still needs to organize and structure their thoughts appropriately in order to convey their message or answer the prompt. 

To ensure students become better readers, thinkers, and learners by learning to process their ideas through writing.

Formulating a writing assignment allows students to learn about a topic and formulate their knowledge about what was researched. When students do the research rather than drafting an assignment with the bare minimum of information, they are better prepared to develop clinical judgment as their critical thinking skills become more advanced. It is exciting to read assignments that demonstrate an interest in a topic. The students who go the extra mile to adequately research a topic are showing a better understanding of the concepts.

It is important to make sure all students know exactly why the work they are doing is related to what they want to achieve, and this is something I will continue to do, make sure there is a direct connection between any writing and the students' interests or desired outcomes. 

I have learned in this chapter the importance of writing and how to utilize it for many different purposes. For example it gives you practice when utilizing it for educational studies, or it can be a form of expression and creativity. It can also help with soft skills by working on a group project collaboratively. There are also different stages and steps of writing. knowing how to evaluate these steps and reviewing your writing can be very useful in your educational and professional pathways. 

Writing across the curriculum is important, even in technical industries. It helps students to express themselves and understand the career and industry in which they are working. It can be used to build confidence and knowledge of themselves, as well.

I think  it is very important for a health care provider how to write professional

Sign In to comment