Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

writing is a tool to communicate and a way for students to learn with positive feedback from instructors

Writing and rewriting is an endless opportunity for improvement. Students seem to understand the concept when rewrites have been completed and read the end result.

Writing is essential improve communication.

Writing is important in all types of courses, across the curriculum.  Step by step directions need clarity and specific word choice.  In regards to professor/teacher assessment of writing - always acknowledge strengths before addressing two or three areas of improvement.

Common misconception is that writing is only taught in core language arts. Writing assignments in CTE courses are as, if not more, effective in teaching and practicing effective writing skills.

Writing is extremely important and skills are needed for the field.

Writing is important for Health Care Professionals. The students seem to be lacking in the basic skills of writing and spelling today when admitted into school.  I encourage them to check their spelling and grammer  prior to turning in any paper. Social Media does not help with all the slang it uses in spelling. 

Learning to write (and learning) never ends...

It is important to be organized when it comes to writing.

Reply to Justina Morales's post: I agree sometimes we get to wrapped in the little things and miss the point of getting students to learn how to communicate through writing.

Student have many challenges with structrual writing as many have developed writing as realted to "text messaging" Many have no clue to proper writing skills, but have learned how to properly write after some sessions on proof reading and rewriting drafts to adequately present the written document.

Students should be encouraged to improve their writing skills via assignments, which helps them express themselves, while improving skills and strategies.

Writing skills are important in any discipline. Providing positive feedback along with opportunities of improvement is key to student growth. 

Assiting students to understand where the gaps in their writing are is critical, they can be motivated and educated to close those deficits with gentle and compassionate assist 

I think writing is a dying art. The rubric is a great tools to set the exspections for the writen assignments and shows the students where they fall short of the mark.

Writing is not just communicating what students have learned, but this is a means of learning and expressing what they have learnt. The stages of writing process were very helpful as this determines the kind of feedback to be given.   

Writing skill should be taught across curriculums and should be encouraged in each course level the student progresses to.  In addition it is good practice to tailor the criticsms so that each student can have 2 or 3 areas to work on and improve.  It is also essential to make sure there is positive feedback to encourage student progress

Writing helps to organize our thoughts and communication skills. 

Helping students know the steps in writing and following each step will keep their thoughts organized, which will lead them into being able to write them out on paper. Peer-to-peer editing/revision and teacher-student editing/revision is important so that the students can improve better on their writing.

This was an interesting module for me. It made me realize the importance of writing skills in a technical education setting. I teach a very hands on program and often disregard the need for good writing skills. I agree that writing on a topic can help the students to better understand and do research on a particular subject. 

Sign In to comment