Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Effective communication is critical for the patient to receive proper health care. In certain situations, it can mean difference between life and death.

An exercise I do is to take one group of 5-6 students out of the class and relay a set of "patient information", relating to a mock surgical procedure. I then take them back into the classroom to relay this information to the rest of the class or team. I don't give warning beforehand, so it is a test to see who is really paying attention to the information being received and then relayed. It helps them to understand how important it is not only to listen, but ask questions as well - especially if they don't understand the information being given.

I believe in being a professional you need good communication skills to address the client, families and even your professional colleagues. I believe that communication is a very important part of being able to show asertiveness, and help others know your goals and expectations in the classroom. Students are taught therapeutic communication because they need to get the best information through both verbal and physical assessment of the client they are working with. We teach different techniques to use for communication barriers and attempt to give the students to become a good communicator as well as a good listener.

Emphasized to the students that effective communication that's not only mean you have to be a very good speaker. Effective communication also requires a person to have a good listening skills.

Patricia,
Very interesting!! This is an awesome way to show effective communication as you may cause frustration in your students before the 2nd instructor comes in!

Shelly Crider

Beth,
Excellent idea! Anytime we can get an outsider from the community to come in and speak...is a great opportunity for growth.

Shelly Crider

Ted,
Most definitely! Even in other careers such as criminal justice, income tax, accounting and many other careers!

Shelly Crider

Carol,
Excellent....just showing different techniques is a perfect way of introducing best practices!

Shelly Crider

The value of having effective communication skills is important in everyday life. In medical and dental environments, where teamwork is important, communicating well is the key to get through the day to help patients. Documentating properly on the medidcal and dental chart is a must in order for the succeeding provider to understand the treatment provided.

In the cosmotology and esthetics field, communication is everything so from day 1 they are learning how to communicate with their clients and they are put in situations constantly where they must practive these skills and learn from them before they even get out into the field on their own.

Lairlyn,
This is true. Effective communication comes in different forms. We have to know when to speak, when to listen and when to read body language!

Shelly Crider

Grace,
Absolutely! So many times communication can altered and miscommunicated due to distractions.

Shelly Crider

I tend to explasin how effective communication is key in relaying information to their patients when their doctor uses "dentalese". Their role as the assistant includes conveying information to their patients.

I try to have my students use proper English and proper sentence structure that relates to what they are writing, especially in patient charts.
Effective communication is just not what you can observe or hear from someone, but also how they write down their thoughtd and ideas.

I agree. When dealing with patients of all ages, it is important that you know how to communicate. Especially at differently levels.

I tell my students that in order to learn a subject matter, they must first understand its concept. It is not a test on whether they can memorize the book, but rather, to express the information in their own words. If they are not able to explain the subject matter to their grandparent, then they do not fully comprehend the material.

Linh ,
This is harder that we would think! Students use texting and IMing so much that proper English is hard to remember!

Shelly Crider

Simona,
Or if the patient is from a different culture or impaired.

Shelly Crider

Virginia,
I like this!! Telling the students the difference between a concept and general subject matter is a great way to enhance learning.

Shelly Crider

This is a great illustration of "knowing your audience". It also provides a situation for critique- and students will likely find it much easier to be critical of individuals that are not their classmates or instructor. Seems like an effective tool!

Sign In to comment