Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

MARY,
This is a great way to get students involved. I love the statement "do not assume".....that is oh so true!

Shelly Crider

I feel that effective communication comes from the learning how to be an effective listener,communicator through role plays and practices, to establish your clients wants and needs. To identify (in the medical field) what is the actual sign verses symptom so that they get the optimum service provided for their concerns.

I also stress to my students that they must not only rely on verbal commmunication. They have to learn non verbal,eg body language, facial expression, eye contact and most of all they need feedback.

So they can feel confident when discussting treament with patients they will be working on.

In the health care field, effective communication is essential for optimal care and I emphasize this to my students. I reverse the situation and ask how they would respond if they felt their health care provider team lacked communication skills. It's at this point that all my students come on board and focus on communication skills.

Kim,
Knowing verbal and nonverbal communication is key to success in the workplace.

Shelly Crider

Joanne,
Students claim to hate role play...however....they certainly learn a lot from role play!!

Shelly Crider

Maureen,
I love when students have projects! This gives them a good feeling of a real job.

Shelly Crider

lisa,
Excellent point....being able to listen....active listen....is half the battle of communication!

Shelly Crider

Jacqueline,
Oh so much is said by the body!! Eye movement, crossed arms, hurried look....endless!

Shelly Crider

Jason,
ahhhh.....reversing the situation and putting the students in the patient's spot....good job!

Shelly Crider

I point out to students that it may not matter how much they know if they cannot get that information across to someone else.

Our campus had members of certain professions come to view a class presentation. When students heard the message--people in the industry pay attention to spelling, verbal skills, etc.--from someone outside our college it had more of an impact.

John Kavouras

I teach in Massage Therapy. I reinforce the fact that you may have the best technical skills out there but if you cant form the theraputic relationship through trust and commuinication you're not going to be able to build and maintain a clientele. Active listening and clear communication is an essential part of what we do.

I agree, one must always be able to identify non verbal communication as it is as important as verable communication

John,
Very good point!! A person needs to be able to express themselves so they can clearly communicate.

Shelly Crider

Jennifer,
Excellent point! You can be the best of the best, but without effective communication....you might as well be a couch potato!!

Shelly Crider

Diane,
You can certainly tell a lot about someone when they do not say a word!!

Shelly Crider

I strive to let them know that how they communicate says who they are and will have a big impact on getting a job.

I present an exercise where one instructor explains the physiology of the digestive system to our classroom full of adult learners at a vocational college, using terminology and examples only med students would know. I then administer an exam on the information. Next, I send in an instructor who teaches the same information from the level our students are at and the information specific to the program they are enrolled in. I administer the same exam. I then explain the importance of knowing who it is you are communicating with and the level at which you should be presenting your information so that the receiver can understand what it is you are trying to convey.

I find inviting a professional from the community to be a guest speaker in my classroom is a valuable tool; I discuss the speakers communciation skills with the students. The discussions themselves seem to be a learning tool, and the students respect the speakers communciation skills.

Sign In to comment