Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree with Kim. In the workplace now there are so many with the same qualifications. You need an edge and an effective communicator will have that edge.

Andrea brings up a very important topic for the 21st century learner. Effective communication can make or break a a deal and can be costly to a company or project. Teaching a student to communicate effectively involves pertinent vocabulary for the career field as well.

It all comes down to professionalism. This is highly stressed at my institution of higher learning. Using street or slang terms are completely unacceptable in a professional environment.
I make certain that I use appropriate language during work and if students do not then I ask them to restate the question or statment in a professional manner. Gentle corrections is what I try to strive for.
A reminder if it is not corrected in the classroom chances of a student doing it in the field externship or on the job are higher. This makes them less attractive to potential employers.

Rachel,
It is good to respond with gentle corrections. In today's society, texting and twittering have really taken a toll on language!

Shelly Crider

I teach the students that effective communication
with the customer is the first step in a proper troubleshooting process when trying to diagnose and repair their product. Knowing what questions to ask is always important.

Edward,
Customers do think you can read their mind, so knowing what to ask is very important!

Shelly Crider

Specific to the classes I teach which is music and specific to the entertainment industry I explain that communication is the key to getting anything done. Without good and constant communication there will be absolutely no progress and you will not be remembered. As the quotation goes, "out of sight, out of mind."

Communication goes beyond just what we say but into how we say and even the body language used during a conversation. The majority of misunderstanding occur not because of what is being said but because of how it is being said. Therefore, communication can either make or break your career progress!

As a teacher in the medical field I give them examples of possible errors in communication that can cost a person their health. I also have them practice communication skills amoungst themselves for clarity. Often times we may think we are communicating perfectly clear, yet the person on the receiving end does not understand what is being communicated. This works both in verbal exercises as well as in written.

Navinthran,
This is a great example and you are right about out of sight, out of mind!

Shelly Crider

Shari,
You are so right! Communication can be your break into international work or working at a local retail store!

Shelly Crider

Gail,
I like how you give examples of errors. This really bring attention to what we do need to look at.

Shelly Crider

I show the students how effective nonverbal communication is and how easily it can be misread. I try to illustrate to them by using volunteers the way that messages can be misinterpreted just by their tone as well as their body language. In the cosmetology field you must have effective communication skills to communicate with the clients and fulfill their needs so in order for them to succeed they must continuously work on communication.

Dari,
Excellent example that you give your students!!!

Shelly Crider

Be a good listener.

Ziaul,
This is a skill that many do not have. I like that you add it to your class. So many careers use this every day!

Shelly Crider

I work to emphasize the importance of effective communication skills to my students by stressing the idea that, in today's workforce, potential employers aren't just looking for skill sets, software proficiency, or even direct experience in the industry. At the top of most of their lists of "must have's" in a future employee is the fact that they want someone they can work with successfully and spend time with over the course of a 40+ hour work week on a regular basis. Our ability to effectively communicate is more than just composing well-written emails or presenting a concept to a client - it's also about our people skills and our ability to get along well with others. I stress to my students that you can have all of the education, training, connections, skills, etc., but if you can't interact with people successfully, you'll never reach your full potential for professional success.

Karin,
Excellent post. Effective communication is so important no matter what career you are in.

Shelly Crider

Being able to communicate effectively is very important. Not only do you have to be mindful how you communicate verbally but you really have to be mindful of your non-verbal communication. Body language says a lot.

We have a text that is used in our curriculum that is called "People Skills", I have them to do a lot of role play situations that give illustrations to body language and verbal responces. This shows them how to identify real life situation that occur at work and how they should respond to them. This is a very needed subject to this generation of students, because customer service is everything when being a successful leader.

Sign In to comment