Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Marilyn,
Good point about the team work. I have seen many times where nobody wants to step up due to the fact they didn't know they could or should. Teaching this is a great idea!

Shelly Crider

Class,

In the past I came across a video that shows how communication can be ineffective and provides examples of how to properly communicate whether in person, on the phone, or through electronic communications. I tried to find this video on YouTube but was not able to, however, I see there are many other good videos there too. I agree with the importance that students should understand communication skills. I personally have witnessed failures in communication within my organization, so I typically have many good examples to share with students.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew,
There are a lot of good videos on YouTube for communication! This is something students would like.

Shelly Crider

I like to relate the need for communication skills to real industry situations. I teach at a culinary school so I give examples that I have been through that forced me to fall back on some of these skills. For example I tell them that one day they might be a chef and want an expensive peice of equipment for thier kitchen. Before they can express to the general manager the benefits of this equipment they might be told to draw up a proposal. They will then have to create a professional document, a spreadsheet, and so on. They will need to be able to use the computer to attach the documents to an email and send it. Then they might be asked to give an oral presentation explaining the data in the documents. If they can do this affectivly they will have a better chance of getting what they think they need. This helps make a simple written assignment seem more relavant for these students.

Effective communication is important be you are conveying thoughts, ideas andinformation while allowing for a response or feedback.

In health care it is of upmost important to be effective communicators. In life theaten situation it is essential that the information be correct and concise.

Effective communication is crucial in all fields of study and especially so in medical assisting. These individuals will have to explain complex - and confusing - information to people who are unfamiliar with health insurance across all walks of life. I emphasize that students need to identify their target audience. If they are crafting a letter to an insurance company the language will be quite different than the language used in patient communications.

Nice example, Paul. Effective communication can be a matter of life and death in your field of study. This can be evident through both verbal and written (legible) communication efforts.

Tim,
I like this!!! I especially like how you tell them to make it a "professional document". Awesome job!

Shelly Crider

Mary,
Exactly! Communication is definitely a two way street.

Shelly Crider

Mary,
In the health care setting it is important that communication be understood as well. Many people do not know what is being told to them in medical terms, but will not ask for repeats.

Shelly Crider

Michael,
Oh so true! I like how you state this. One form of communication may not work for every situation.

Shelly Crider

In the medical having effeective communication skills is key. For me, I have my students introduce themselves on a daily basis while performing tasks and procedures. By doing this I feel it makes them more comfortable with the interaction process.

Opened mind, lisening with the thought process that we can give feedback, teamwork in class,most of all not always what we want it to be.

Good and effective communication is essential in the health care industry. My courses prepare students to interact with patients, coworkers and Drs in the Dental environment. Lack of cummunication could result in pyhsical injury to the patient.

I encourage my students to listen to and follow instructions and ask questions if they do not understand. Do not assume or guess, communicate!

I have in the past assigned a project whereby each student must communicate instructions to their classmates and then monitor how clear the instructions were and how well their classmates followed the instructions.

It might be something as simple as reaching for a glass and filling it with water.

The results are informative and entertaining.

joshua,
Effective communication in the medical field is indeed crucial.....we do not want to give confusing information to our patients.

Shelly Crider

GILDA ,
I love the fact that we can accept that we do not always get what we think is best. There are times when we get voted down...but being professional will teach us to keep on trying.

Shelly Crider

I try to emphasize to them that the education is usually a requirement and everyone who applies for the job will have the same, if not better, educational credentials. Education alone is not going to get you the job. I tell them how their communication skills, both verbal and nonverbal, are what will set them apart from other candidates.

you have to learn to ask the right questions and be able to respond with the right answers both verbally and non verbally and by doing some role playing in class you can get your students so they are comfortable with all forms of communications.

I teach medical assistants. One way I use to improve communication from students is projects, both individual and small group, which need to be presented. The student must learn to express their personal ideas to complete a group assignment. Each student must verify another students details before presenting a project.

I also have students do role play. Each student takes a turn being a medical assistant and a patient. Each "patient" presents in a different format, as a child, over-concerned parent, addict, etc.

I then compare student communication with how patients may communicate with them and the need to get the pertinent information in order for the student to be an effective listener and communicator and writer.

Sign In to comment