Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Vasheba,
Students need the extra communication activities. Good job!

Shelly Crider

James,
Excellent post! Yes, as an oral communication instructor, you do have opportunities emphasize the various types of communication.

Shelly Crider

Brittney,
Excellent point! This could even be a great discussion question for your online classes...."what type of communication will you see the minute you open the doors of a potential employer"

Shelly Crider

Marlene,
I have found students do like a great debate!

Shelly Crider

I agree with the youth today it is all about technology and texting. they are not getting a lot of interactions with there peers for effective communication or how to be proficient in dealing with people face to face and in my industry as an educator this is a must.

I present cross cultural differences in modes of communication and point out the danger of making assumptions regarding another person's values, belief system etc. Some of these examples are often extreme and/or humorous but it reminds students that we all see the world in a slightly different way and that it pays to put some effort into learning how another person views a particular situation.

Arthur,
Makes me wonder what communication will be like 50 years from now!!

Shelly Crider

Wendy,
I like this! Many students are familiar with what they have grown up with, but not necessarily who they will be working with!

Shelly Crider

In my classes I demonstrate the importance of effective communication in many ways. Having the ability to deliver a message in a clear and concise manner is a necessary technique for any working business professional. Having the right posture and making eye contact are a couple skills that we often look over upon communicating with each other. If you are not sure what you need to say to someone then take the appropriate time to think about it and prepare ahead of time.

Corey,
I like the fact that you tell your students to think before they speak. Excellent!

Shelly Crider

I teach in a veterinary technology program. Many of my students are interested in this field initially because they have difficulty communicating with people and think that will deal primarily with animals. It is always a challenge to impress upon them how much they will actually have to communicate with people like pet owners, co-workers, veterinarians. etc. I give assignments requiring them to create educational material geared towards "clients" then have them present that information to people in other programs at our campus. It forces them to communicate with people but having the subject matter be things they are knowledgeaable on helps their confidence level going in.

Erin,
Very good point. Many students "see" their career as what they want to see, but not actually as what it is.

Shelly Crider

My students are very responsive to my real life examples that I give them from my own experience. I feel this gives them some insight about what to do and not to do once they get out into the industry.

David,
Thank you for sharing real life experiences, nothing better!!

Shelly Crider

The nature of our role as instructors automatically puts us in position to serve as models for effective communication skills. The better we are at communicating, the more likely the students will be able to understand our explanations of concepts. Clearly stated expectations and requirements for projects can help students produce quality work.

I talk about the importance of well designed presentations in multiple classes. Most students can relate to examples of sitting through presentations that bored them. This gives a good way to talk about how to what should or shouldn't be done during a presentation.

We have a course in my school called Professional Development, which has a component on becoming an effective communicator. I have found, mostly online, a wide variety of games which illustrate various aspects of communication. I have even been known to use the old children's game of 'telephone' to illustrate how messages get mis-communicated! I have also, whenever possible, taken students to a meeting of the public speaking organization Toastmasters, so that they might see how group members learn to overcome their fear of public speaking and become good communicators.

Deb,
Excellent post. We do have to be the communicators. This allows us to stomp out the old saying "do as I say not as I do"!

Shelly Crider

Susan,
Ahhhh "telephone" is an excellent game to play for communications!!

Shelly Crider

In healthcare listening is as important as the technical skills our students need to master. The patient does not care how much you know until they know how much you care. Demonstrating concern with body language and simply repeating back what the patient just told you can open the door to really effective communication. And that leads to correct diagnosis and treatment planning. Students are usually nervous when they first start working with real patients. We have specific guidelines in place to help them such as where to sit yourself and patient when conducting a medical history interview. It is not always obvious to nervous beginners.

Tina,
Great job on bringing up listening and the medical field!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment