Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It seems to me that the simple truth is that most jobs are gotten and lost through excelling in or lacking in soft skills, a great part which is communicating effectively with others. I teach writing and communication, and the course content here is correct--students are very skeptical of soft skills; they think getting a job and excelling at a career is all about hard skills or technical skills. My classes are all about soft skills, but I often discuss this issue with my students. Sometimes they do basic research about it and are surprised to learn that good effective communication skills is key to success.

Rita,
nice post and you are right on track. So many people simply do not think the soft skills are needed or that they have them as they are yelling at you.

Shelly Crider

By trying to have them understand the need to be able to communicate openly in public and with others that they dont know.

charles,
I like how make sure students can speak with people they know and do not know. Sometimes we get comfortable which may not be professional.

Shelly Crider

In the Cosmetology profession commuication is very important, verbal and non-verbal as well as having good listening skills, the students are taught how to watch for non-verbal communication from their clients, because sometime the client will not tell you that they don't like what you are doing, but their body language will let you know that something is not right allowing you the oppertunity to fix things before completing the whole service.

Ranee,
I can certainly see this to be true.

Shelly Crider

In today’s fast paced world communications is the key for a good career. With any career, people are asked for more productivity with fewer resources than some to prove their worth. Effective communication skills will help students succeed, and will be more effective for those who work at it. On a daily basis remind students the effective communication is an essential component for future success, no matter what level it refers to like inter, intra, group or mass levels.
Four key areas for improving effective communication are: Writing skills, Reading skills, Speaking skills, and Listening skills.
Writing skills help to convey ideas and thoughts more clearly when you are trying to express them to others; helps to filter the information making it more precise and to the point.
Reading skills help with self-aspirations giving a person more self-confidence and motivation. Reading helps with improving the way a person express themselves, as well as books are temples of knowledge for personal enhancement.
Speaking skills are very important and will give them self-confidence, knowledge and a good delivery. Good speaking skills will show that a person knows the information and message, know when to give importance to certain things, and they know the facts to be able to respond to questions they may arise.
Listening skills can be paramount of all skills needed for effective communication. A good listener will take time to listen, show interest, not interrupt, and summarize to clarify what has been said. By being a good listener one will be able to illustrate to others effective traits that welcome in a variety of views, thoughts and ideas from others.

Lloyd,
Communication, being listening, speaking, or email, is so important to today's professional.

Shelly Crider

The point you emphasized is vert critical to appreciating the role of effective communication as a skill. We should ensure that aur student s understand the need to communicate with people irrespective of differences in language and cultures.

ALWAYS LET THE STUDENTS UNDERSTAND THAT THEY ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS THEY ARE ABLE TO CONVEY TO OTHER PEOPLE THAT THEY ARE. INTERNALIZING KNOWLEDGE IS NOT INTELLIGENCE IF IT CANNOT BE ACTIVELY AND EFFECTIVELY EXPRESSED

encouraging effective listening skills is a very important part of developing verbal and non-verbal communication.

Emeka,
This is a must! As our society grows more and more global, communication is key!

Shelly Crider

chuka,
Good point....Communication tells and shows people what you know and can do.

Shelly Crider

christina,
This is very important in every career out there, even if a employee telecommutes!

Shelly Crider

I explain that,not all problems can be resolved with tecchnical skills alone,and that the need to communicate with others.

Effective communication goes a long way for it does not only involves sounds like verbal, but also nonverbal. Students and Instructors alike must be conscious on this for this is where sometimes it can be misinterpreted. Body language can convey a lot of things. Verbal and body language must be congruent. Effective communicator must be conscious to all of these areas.

Wilfred,
This is oh so true! There are times when we have to do verbal and/or nonverbal communication.

Shelly Crider

Clifton,
This is why it is important to share personal experiences with the students as online does not see body language.

Shelly Crider

Some ways I illustrate to my students the value of having effective communication skills are to discuss the process of communication including small group discussions that include listening and giving feedback.

We recently completed a module about writing procedures and instructions in Communication Skills. The students built a model with 15 Legos, wrote and illustrated instructions for constructing the model, and then exchanged model pieces and instruction sheets with other students. The students then built the models by following the instructions given. They wrote notes for feedback to the writer of the instructions and also had the opportunity to give oral feedback on the success or failure of the project. The value of clear, correct, and concise instructions was evident in the success or failure of the completed model.

Christine,
This is creative and awesome!! Students may think it is silly to use Legos; however, they are using communication as well as creative thinking!!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment