Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Many of my students plan to enter careers in law enforcement, so I use examples of the importance of being able to communicate with fellow officers and the public. I use examples from real-life situations.

Dennis,
Nothing better than real life, as real life can be unbelievable!

Shelly Crider

I always tell my students that their body language and the tone used when they speak or send e-mails to me or to others often speaks volumes! There are times, with a few, that these things need to be addressed, or they might find themselves job hunting for a long time.

Chris,
Especially if they are texting or reading their phone while walking into interview! I just saw this happen the other day!

Shelly Crider

I work on effective communication with projects such as APA paper which they give presentation each term.

Farzana,
I am glad you give help with the APA. Many students do not feel comfortable with this.

Shelly Crider

I often remind my students of the importance of effective communication. We play roles as the sender and receiver. We then analyze the message and feedback. We do this both verbally and non verbally.

William,
Another interesting task. I like this as many times what we meant to say in an email is not what is received in an email.

Shelly Crider

I work with students that are close to transitioning from classroom to real dental office settings. If not familiar with a medical enviroment -they have challenges in how behavior and communication skills are paramount. We work on these soft skills from beginning to end of their program. It takes that long to get them conditioned to a professional atmosphere and culture. We role play daily.

Susan,
Reading a book is not the same as the real setting! Good job on role play!

Shelly Crider

I present various "real world" case studies as topics for discussion. Then open discussion which usually brings about more topics for discussion. I have been known to break out into groups and allow planning in 15 minutes for groups to do bad and good skits; again allowing for more open discussion.

I struggle with the language issues when students speak another language. I hear/read the grammar issues but it does not seem to help because they think it is ok and acceptable. Do I leave it go??

Sign In to comment