Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I try to approach demonstration of effective communication skills from a service provider to customer perspective and relay how very important it is to a business owner to see or understand a situation or transaction through a customers eyes. It will inform the tone of every bit of communication a business puts forth. Be it person to person customer service, ad copy, website design......Customers, and more importantly repeat customers, are a businesses most important asset. Treat people how you would like to be treated. Happy customers and word of mouth bring more business. In my experience nothing promotes that better than clear communication and understanding a clients needs. (Having a great product doesn't hurt either!)

Rachell,
People read into the way you write an email as well.

Shelly Crider

Kimberly,
It is true that customer service is a must. Customers give us a paycheck.

Shelly Crider

Richard,
I like this as it is easy to see our own point of view on customer service, but through the eyes of a customer is a whole different view.

Shelly Crider

I teach veterinary technology courses and I often have to place emphasis on how important communication with the client is, and how poor skills (both verbal as well as non-verbal) can result in potentially devastating outcomes.
I tend to give real life examples that illustrate how situations can go horribly wrong when communication skills are poor.

Nicole,
Good point. Now that we can add international communication along with that, it is even more important.

Shelly Crider

I teach courses in Fashion Design & Merchandising. I constantly remind the students that communication is key, and that it goes far beyond just having creative ideas or drawing pretty pictures. They must know how to communicate those ideas and defend their choices to a wide range of people. I illustrate this idea by having them work in teams and practicing as different members of the apparel production feild. Each member has a different agenda and needs to ask/answer the right types of questions to communicate and understand the ideas presented.

Dennis ,
Excellent project that you have the students do!

Shelly Crider

I begin a new class by facilitating a dicussion about the model of human communication. I have the sudents identify communication barriers and filters that they experience in thier own lives. We then move on to examine those barriers and how they impact clarity or misunderstanding.

Ernest,
I would imagine that is one big discussion!!!

Shelly Crider

Role playing in class with scenarios that they may encounter in the real working environment.
Having patients rephrase or restate instructions you just provide them.

Laura,
Students will grumble when they have to role play, but they sure do learn a lesson!

Shelly Crider

The most important part to being an effective communicator is to fist tell tell someone what is a good communicator and what is not so good communicator. After, explaining what a communicator is then model the behavior. Lastly, have the learner then practice in small groups or model the behavior for the instructor with an array of topics.

Ayanna Streete

I usually try to listen in on student discussions of a subject for two reasons. One is to see if they have a grasp of the subject they are discussing. And two to see if they are effectively listening to each others point of view. If one student starts talking before another has completed I will temporarily halt the conversation and point out that although they are anxious to make their own point in the conversation, to effectively discuss it that they must be willing to let their counterparts finish.

Ayanna ,
Modeling the behavior is a must! Thank you for mentioning this.

Shelly Crider

Truitt,
Nice tip on active listening! It is good to see if a student is listening to others.

Shelly Crider

I illustrate effective communications skills to my students through classroom assignments. I am sure the provide examples of how comminications skills are necessary to be successful in their chosen professions. I do this through group in class activities and homework assignments.

Since I teach Oral Communication and English Comp., I have the unique opportunity to emphasize communication on many levels. I think, yes, nonverbal communication is an area that students really need to practice. Both presenter and listener can send negative signals through the use of body language. We do exercises and have discussions about the importance of nonverbal communication. And I totally agree: body language band verbal language go hand in hand in the overall communication matrix.

Effective communication can be identified as soon as you step foot in a potential employers door. You will be judged on proper communication at not only your place of employment, but also at an interview for a potential job. In the trade that my students are preparing for they not only have to have good verbal communication skills, but also technical communication skills. I will identify to my students examples of different communication opportunities once their enter their field, from discussing patient care, sending correspondence through email, and adequately relaying information between staff members. Providing specific scenarios would help my students relate to the importance of appropriate communication.

One of the activities I incorporate in the classroom that enhances not only communication but also critical thinking, are debates.I split the class in half into pro and con sides.I act as the mediator.

Sign In to comment