Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Having been a technical / vocational educator for a number of years, the normal pitfalls of new instructors are less of a problem for me. However, I find that seasoned instructors have their own set of challenges or mistakes to overcome. Probably the largest mistake we can make is thinking that we're experienced enough to the point that we can follow the same routing that we've followed for years. Our way is best because it's what has worked for us. We do the job day in and day out and get "stuck in a rut." We have to clear our minds of this fallacy and approach each day as a new day, ready for any new challenges that may appear. Our delivery and the content of the presentation is influenced by the events in the classroom and we must be able to incorporate those dynamics into how and what we present. Veteran instructors make mistakes, too; just different ones.

I avoid making common instructor mistakes by making sure I am organized and prepared. I review the material that I am going to discuss before class to make sure I am familiar with it and to add any updates to the material if necessary.

I agree with some of the others, being prepared is so important. I've learned having a backup plan is key. I always save my Power Point files in multiple places so if I forget or loose my thumb drive I can pull it from another source like an email I sent to myself

To avoid the common mistakes in class, it is good to have a list of the common mistakes and try and make sure you don't make them. Now this is easier said than done. As an instructor I look at my performance after my class and write down what I did well and not so well. This allows me the oppurtunity to review my presentations and make changes to remove the not so well portions. This is an ongoing process, this can not be done just once, it needs to be an ongoing process. Another useful resource are the Class Audits that we have done by our Faculty Coach. He will sit in class and critique our presentation of lecture and provide us with feedback.

Being prepared, stablishing repor with students. Respecting and identifying the students needs. Then addressing them and folloowing up.

While it may sound simple, I find that preparation is the key. Once you are comfortable with your lesson, it is far easier to understand what is going on in your classroom.

Being in the field 18 years never prepared me to teach but what I have found over the last 6 years of teaching is that you can never be over-prepared for a class and that everyday I myself make it a point to learn something I did not know. Therefore I am on the same level as my students in one aspect but still instructing to my highest level.

Hi Tammy,
Preparation is key! Technology is scary, and having a backup to a technical file is extremely smart.

Patricia Scales

Hi Paul,
Super way to evaluate yourself. I can tell you take well to constructive feedback. Keep striving to be the very best.

Patricia Scales

Hi Luis,
Preparation is a big must in order for things to run smoothly in the classroom.

Patricia Scales

Hi Sherrie,
I agree! Preparation is a must, and it gives you the confidence you need to do a great job in the classroom.

Patricia Scales

Hi Angela,
Keep winning! You will develop into one of the best because you have the right attitude. Preparation is key!

Patricia Scales

You need to be prepared, organized, and professionally dressed. Do not be afraid to ask hep from experience instructors. Remember you are the instructor and not the student buddies. Make sure you set the rules and the tone of your class.

Proofread your materials and try on your own every activity you will cover in your class to ensure all steps are included.

Hi Lima,
Great advice! Never go into a classroom unprepared and think you are just going to wing it. Winging it will cause you to fall flat on your face.

Patricia Scales

Some ways in which to avoid commonly made instructor mistakes is to go into the classroom with confidence, even if you are very nervous. The students will pick up on your uneasiness, and then if you verbalize it to the class, your road will be fairly bumpy. If this is the first time an instructor has taught before, it is best to not indicate that this is the first time--this will not instill confidence in the students about your ability or even knowledge.

Also, always learn your students' names. I learn the names before the start of class, and then put names to faces on the first day and continue to use their names during class in order to memorize them. This will set a good tone for the class, as the students will know that you pay close attention to details, such as their name.

Hi Brenda,
Great response! You are definitely on point. I let my new instructors know that it is irrelevant to let students know that this is your first time teaching. It opens up a can of worms and gives students the ammunition they need to rake you over the coals. Walk into the classroom with great confidence, vast knowledge, and thoroughly prepared, and they will never know you have not taught before.

Patricia Scales

Talking with other instructors is a good way to learn some of the do's and don'ts. You can learn from other people's mistakes and hopefully not make the same mistake.

Another instructor in your department or college can enlighten you on best practices for that particular school and student body.

I have found being over prepared is a big help. I make sure I have ample lecture material avaiable as well as visual aids (I have found You Tube to be a wonderful resource). If there is a technical problem I have detailed notes I can refer to and use the board to write out key points and I have pages from the book written down to refer students to.

I believe that preparing in advance for a class will help prevent errors and mistakes. Going over the lecture including the solutions of the problems that is part of the lecture is also essential because it is possible to forget some of the steps in the solutions to arrive at the correct answer. A back up plan will also be helpful just in case something goes wrong with the planned lecture.

One common mistake that was not mentioned was instructors that assume knowledge. In other words, assuming that the students know something just because it is "common knowledge." Instructors have the benefit of learning and experience and need to remember that the students come from many backgrounds and do not necessarily share this knowledge. As a new instructor I was red-faced more than once because I assumed the students knew what I considered to be part of a "normal" person's knowledge base. Obviously, "normal" does not exist.

Sign In to comment