Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Avoiding common instructor mistakes

What are some ways you can avoid commonly made instructor mistakes?

It has only taken me one time to leave my lesson plan, powerpoint, or activity at home and come to class without these resources. Accordingly, I have multiple backup plans including copies on a memory stick, emailing resources to my school account, and a backup copy on my school hard drive.

One of the best ways to avoid common instructor mistakes is to be well-prepared. I find that when I have a detailed lesson plan, reviewed the answers to all the assignments, and have prepared all lesson materials, I am more at ease in the classroom and less likely to fumble or make mistakes. Another way to avoid common mistakes is to chat with your colleagues and share your mistakes and how you overcame them. Colleagues are great resources and support--especially for a first-time instructor.

I agree with planning; the 4 ps work well: plan, prepare, practice, present. If you are prepared and you fall off track, it is easier to get back - no harm done.

I too have learned the hard way, and have backups on memory sticks and these have come in handy. Also, when I have made a mistake, the fastest way to earn the respect of the students is to take ownership of the error and correct it. Making notes of the mistake and how it was resolved greatly aids in the likelihood of history not repeating itself.

One should respect their students enough to be well prepared and flexible which means that if one method is not working, you are able to try another one.

Hi Rebecca,
When you make a mistake and learn from it, this can be the best form of teaching. You are right, own up to your mistkes and move on.

Patricia Scales

Hi Claudia,
Preparation is key! As instructors we have to do what we can to reach our students, try new tricks.

Patricia Scales

Backing up your material is a wonderful strategy. I also encourage my students to utilize the same strategy with their classwork and assignments.

I am still new at teaching so, I have and still make mistakes. Some of which I can cover up and the students never realize it. But, some they definitly know about. When that happens I explain what went wrong or what I forgot and they are pretty understanding and accepting that I am only human. I then learn from it and hope that it never happans again.

We are only human, but preperation is the key.
Learning from mistakes is what we are all about, whether student or teacher. Own up to your mistakes, and teach humility.

From the first class meeting I recruit my students as watchdogs. They enjoy catching me out, and we all laugh about it while quickly correcting the error. Even if I fail to slip up they will pick up openings where they think that I may have, which shows me that they are paying attention. This provides invaluable feedback on my delivery and course structure as to areas upon which I can improve.

John Stuckey

Hi Michael,
You are on point! As long as we live, we are in a trial and error period. Accept mistakes, learn from them, and move forward.

Patricia Scales

I'm agreeing with most of what everyone said about preparation. I think, not only does preparation reduce mistakes, but it makes you feel more confident. I especially wish I'd thought about preparing MORE material than I thought we had time for, since the first few times I taught, we had lots of extra time and I had nothing planned. Experience is painful, but necessary.

Some of the ways in which I have avoided common mistakes is by relying on feedback from my students on assignments. where the assignments beneficial? Did they enhance learning? Did lectures cover objectives? I also create a binder with everything that I prepared for the class and I use it over and over again adding and deleting items.

Other instructors use my binders and have come to create their own for each course. It makes it easier when preparing for the same course again. You have a starting point.

Hi John,
I like how you put them in charge to catch you doing something wrong or to point out you doing something wrong. When my students catch my errors, I commend them, and I say great catch. Students strive off of finding instructors mistakes.

Patricia Scales

Hi Melissa,
Experience really is the best teacher. You live and learn. Preparation is key! It is better to have too much than to not have enough.

Patricia Scales

Hi Vida,
Binders are priceless! I have an organized binder for each course that includes, tests, answer sheets, answer keys, quizzes, assignments, chapter notes, etc. Binders have made my life easier as an instructor.

Patricia Scales

I think every new teacher probably has to experience being under-prepared (or not entirely prepared) to recognize just how true that is. The time before class is more important than the time in class (sometimes).

I highly recommend that all new instructors seek a "mentor" in their institution to aid in learning the ropes and avoiding common mistakes. To get into the classroom we all must have acceptable credentials to do so. The mistakes that are commonly the pitfall are ones related to "soft skills" or those processes that are not covered in our textbooks and coursework.

By having an experienced instructor who is familiar with your course or institution, you increase your chances of not making the same mistakes, as well as exploit your opportunity to learn from someone who has been there....

Sign In to comment