Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

When dealing with a stressful situation, I take a deep breath and shift my mind into neutral. I like to imagine myself riding my dirtbike in the woods.

My method of late has been writing, I find that writing stories relax my mind and remove me from the problems that are around me. While I don't think I'm a publishable author, I'm relaxed after exercising my mind with other thoughts that are more pleasant to deal with.

Phillip, Sounds like a wonderful outlet. Also, you just never know about the possibility of publication in the future. Often times, we are our biggest critics. Perhaps you could have a few others read your work and see what kind of feedback they have.

Dr. Melissa Read

Depending on if the stress is personal or work related, I will talk to friends, family, colleagues to help cope with the stressors i cannot eliminate or reduce.
I find listening to my favorite music helps me cope with stress of any type at any time - I am taken to a different place altogether!

Craig, Sounds like you have some great coping mechanisms in your back pocket. Wonderful to hear. I like the way the mechanism you choose depend on the kind of stress you experience. This is a great strategy because different outlets work for different stressors.

Dr. Melissa Read

I think every person knows his abilities and expertise better than anyone else. Thus we need to develop time management schedule as per our abilities and then stick to it. You cannot control how efficient people/ team works around you, but you definitely understand your pace and capabilities. Planning ahead and completing your assigned task to the best of your capabilities should be the measuring and guiding parameter. I personally think that it’s not success but the burning desire/ wish to be successful that really matters as it keeps you on your toes working and thinking all the time. This is needed to lead a physically and mentally healthy life.

Working out and running I find to be a good way of coping with stress and it helps me think clearer. Also a healthy diet and not going long periods without eating or drinking water, getting enough sleep, and finally stress shared is stress divided.

I find that exercise does help alot. It seems to relieve some of the frustration and anxiety that comes with the job.

Amy, Excellent to hear! Yes, this is true for many instructors. Exercise is a great outlet and can help you stay in great shape too.

Dr. Melissa Read

Coping with stress is the fifth stress in life. Next to students, work, a toddler and balancing a marriage, making sure I properly cope with it is a challenge. I make sure to take time to go work out by myself and prioritize. It's so important to balance yourself before it's too late.

I like to walk or use the heated pool in my complex, but often I am on campus from 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 or 7:00 p.m. 5 days a week. I come home with good intentions, but no get up and go. I love to snorkel on weekends to relax, weather permitting. This course has motivated me to improve my unhealthy habits, befor they start catching up with me. I often have no time for lunch, drink too much coffee, and do not get enough sleep.

Marie-Anne, Sounds like your students, work, toddler and marriage are all sources of stress for you and all things to cope with from time to time. I'm sorry to hear that the coping process causes you stress too. It could be that there are better mechanisms for coping than the ones that you've been relying on lately. You might explore your options to see if there's something out there that could work better for you.

Dr. Melissa Read

Barbara, It sounds like your schedule is really tight. I wonder if there is a way for you to build some exercise into your on-campus routine. Some campuses have gyms, others have places to walk outside. You might take a look around and see how you can make fitness happen.

Dr. Melissa Read

Hi Stephen,
I agree with a short bike ride; I try to ride a couple times a week, not really long distances, but just enough to "let go" before sitting down for dinner with the family. It's amazing how the stress can spread like a plague in the household and effect everyone else! I also do suduko math puzzles before going to bed; it makes me concentrate just on that so i don't do the typical "replaying" of the stressful day in my head.
Amy

Hi Stephen,
I agree with a short bike ride; I try to ride a couple times a week, not really long distances, but just enough to "let go" before sitting down for dinner with the family. It's amazing how the stress can spread like a plague in the household and effect everyone else! I also do suduko math puzzles before going to bed; it makes me concentrate just on that so i don't do the typical "replaying" of the stressful day in my head.
Amy

I am agree with you , it is very important keept your mind stress free .

I've started paring down my activity list. There were jobs I've been doing for years that I can now let go. That and increased exercise. I purchased an elliptical for this purpose and have started to establish a nice routine. I feel much better.

Larry, Excellent to hear. Sometimes it is best just to let go. It can be hard when we are used to balancing everything to watch as some things slip through the cracks but it's important for our sanity and productivity in other areas.

Dr. Melissa Read

I plan to incorporate a daily regimen of light exercise such as stretching, walking, or yoga. I think many people underestimate the power of exercise, which releases "feel-good" endorphines into the body naturally. I also plan to learn some effective deep-breathing and visualization techniques, which can be utilized mostly anywhere, if even for a few minutes. I believe these slight changes have the potential to make a huge difference in the way I manage daily stressors.

Alicia, This sounds like a wonderful plan. I especially like the way that the exercises you chose are low impact. A lot of times, instructors choose high impact exercise because they are driving toward dramatic change. The challenge with this approach is that they often injure themselves and then can't keep the exercise up consistently.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sign In to comment