Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I used to exercise regularly, but have not in the past two years or so. I am going to resume. I enjoy watching Denise Austin, and working out with her. The work-outs are low impact, and her commetns are encouraging. I have a shoulder injury that is gradually getting better,so I will take it easy with that arm. I like to exercise in the morning, so I will get it done.

I found the reason for deciding to eliminate stress "test"--whether someone important approved or disapproved-was a good test. I have been coping with something that has caused a lot of stress to me. Well I am the most important person and I made a decsion to eliminate that stress. I am going forward with an action plan that will greatly reduce that stress. I feel so much better making that decision already.

My outlet for coping with stressors is bicycling either before or after work. A sunrise or sunset bike ride can have lasting effect for either a busy work day or for a restfull nights sleep.

Karen, Sounds like an excellent plan. It's great to hear that you found someone who really motivates and inspires you to continue your exercise routine. It sounds like you should stock up on Denise Austin workout materials!

Dr. Melissa Read

Karen, Sounds like an excellent plan. It's great to hear that you found someone who really motivates and inspires you to continue your exercise routine. It sounds like you should stock up on Denise Austin workout materials!

Dr. Melissa Read

Joseph, Wow, that sounds like a real treat. I'm glad to hear you found an exercise routine that provides daily beauty and fulfillment in your life.

Dr. Melissa Read

make "to Do" lists and be sure to take time out for "me" more often than I do. 'dont sweat the small stuff anymore. I need to learn to cope with every day stressors and let go of the things that I have no control over

hello, i have found that simply taking a nap and laughing is the best way to handle stress!

I think exercise is a great way to relieve your stress you are feeling. It helps to clear you mind and let go of some of the things that are bothering you.

Tanner, These are wonderful ways of coping with stress. Thanks for mentioning them. Laughing is particularly good and you can do it anywhere.

Dr. Melissa Read

I like, don't love, to exercise and haven't done anything exercise-wise for many months. I also appreciate the benefits of meditation with focus on breathing and visualization of my happy place...Ocracoke, North Carolina. I am a physical therapist and of course know the huge benefits in stretching. I have two good friends who really are willing to listen/help me, but I don't like to burden them with what is going on in my life. So, it isn't that I don't know what to do. It is just taking that step forward to doing what I know that I should do and then doing it! This weekend, I will investigate the little work-out places in my neighborhood, and ask Susan to go for a walk with me.

I love to run. It really relives my stress.

I have A LOT of stress in my life and have used some not so healthy coping mechanisms: caffeine, staying up late, cramming, grinding teeth etc. Deep down, you know these things are bad but they are not just bad for you, they actually make more stress for you down the road so they are really not coping mechanisms at all. Recently my physician suggested I do strength training. I do yoga occasionally and it helps mentally but my physical body is being affected and I was surprisd to find out building muscle will also ease stress.

Rather than use exercise as a means of losing weight I'll look at it as more of a stress reducer. I'll set more time aside to discuss stress at work with my husband rather than thinking he's not interested!

Lacey, Excellent to hear. Running is a great way to relieve stress. It's hard to get started with this kind of exercise routine, but once you get into it it's hard to stop!

Dr. Melissa Read

Sharon, It sounds like you have a good handle on both what you are doing right and what needs to improve in your life. That's a great place to start. A lot of instructors take many years to come to these conclusions. You don't have to be perfect, but you might consider just slowly reducing those coping mechanisms that you know are unhealthy and slowing increasing ones that you feel good about.

Dr. Melissa Read

Denise, It sounds like you have identified and successfully used a variety of positive coping mechanisms and outlets to deal with stress. That's wonderful to hear. It's great to have multiple outlets to fall back on. This way, if one fails you have many others!

Dr. Melissa Read

I run and stretch already. I can add stretching during the day.

I will allow more time for myself for meditation, exercise, etc.

Eloise, Sounds like a good plan. Taking a little extra time for you can make a substantial difference on your productivity and on how you feel.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sign In to comment