Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have always enjoyed chatting out my stressors with friends. I am not a huge fan of exercise but I may try this also to help naturally alleviate stress.

I am working on adding more exercise to my life and eating better.

For me physical activity plays a key role in reducing and preventing the effects of stress. I exercese for at least 30 minutes three-five times per week. Nothing beats aerobic exercise for releasing stress and tension.

When confronted with stressors that I am unable to eliminate, I try to gain perspective by taking a few deep breaths, wait a moment and then proceed. Usually taking a walk around the block on a break helps to clear my mind while getting some exercise and getting some fresh air!

I will walk more through out the day or during lunch.

Louis, Our lunch breaks are often great outlets. If you have a nice path near work and some good weather, lunch can be perfect for a walk. If you don't, you might consider walking the halls with a friend.

Dr. Melissa Read

Irina, It sounds like you have a wonderful routine in place! You are right, exercise can help us mind, body and soul. I am curious to hear more about the specific exercises that work well for you.

Dr. Melissa Read

Marianne, That sounds like a good coping strategy to me. When we get outside and break from our routine, particularly with fresh air, we are often able to clear our minds.

Dr. Melissa Read

I exercise regularly and mostly eat a well balanced diet. But I still get stressed because I fell my superiors do not communicate well with the instructors. I can't change that so I will try to breath deeply and realize that I am not them and focus on my job.

I started using a home-elliptical machine for a few minutes each day as it allows for both exercise as well as some time during which I can just focus on myself instead of everything else others want me to do.

I exercise seven days a week, but what I don't do is stretch. I am going to add stretching to my regime.

I find that yoga and deep breathing exercises work well for me .

David, That's great to hear. Some people watch TV or listen to the radio while on the elliptical. Others spend time with friends on the phone. Sounds like for you, the elliptical is simply a nice break from it all!

Dr. Melissa Read

I am a very "outdoorsy" type of person. It helps me to go outside, even if it is just for a few minutes, when I am feeling stressed and overwhelmed.

First and foremost see what stressors can be reduced.
I think re taking a Kick-boxing class would be a great stressor eliminator for me - and I enjoy Kick-Boxing.
Also having a sounding board; listening to others on how they work on their stressors.

I do cope with stress I believe fairly well, when I get really frustrated with personal stress I go out for a walk, or distance myself from the problem for awhile until I am ready to deal with it. I am working in trying to get more sleep however, since I currently do not get enough.

I love to come home and read, one of the novel series that I am reading or whatever book that I have dived into at the time. It is my way of transporting myself away from everything!!!

Shawn, Reading is such a wonderful escape. I am curious to hear about the subject matter that works best for you in reading.

Dr. Melissa Read

Positive thinking, breathing techniques, and problem solving techniques have been long term stress reduction coping mechanisms I use regularly. Now I am adding more aerobic exercise and stretching exercises to my weekly routine.
Decades ago my sister had a saying she put on her refrigerator when her boys were young: Does this really matter??? I have used this many times to give me perspective, especially when I am ready to "blow a fuse" over a relatively minor matter. Sometimes it is the little things that stess us the most.

Get more sleep; exercise more; eat better.

Sign In to comment