Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

make sure you use all of the resources that are available to you, and stive to prioritize events of students that you have an influence on

Bryan, I know it's a tough one to fit in. Some people try to combine exercise with other tasks on their lists. For example, they take a conference call during a walk, or catch up with a friend during that time. For those with children, exercising together can be a great way to spend time and stay fit.

Dr. Melissa Read

Jessica, It sounds like you have a great routine already in place and a good vision for the future. Now it's time to get started. I recommend easing in to an earlier bed time. Just moving the time up by 15 minutes a night can get you where you need to be without feeling like to drastic of a change.

Dr. Melissa Read

Yes. a long with exercise.
I try not to drink too much coffee.
Also try to have health food.

Bo, It sounds like you have a few great ways to manage stress. That's wonderful to hear. As for your coffee drinking, most things are ok in moderation.

Dr. Melissa Read

Reflecting on the stressors in my life, I will need to introduce exercise and stretching into the regiment. I have been already implementing many of the other tactics on a regular basis to relieve stress. The results have been typically short term.

Certain stressors in life are inevitable but the idea is how to effectively manage them. As mentioned in the module you can change the route that you commute or even alter you schedule to avoid such traffic snarls. Another mechanism to relieve stress is to engage in an activity that you enjoy and is healthy. Such activities could include walking, cycling or such less physical activities as cooking, gardening and even volunteering at local events. Stretching along with specific breathing tecniques also offer enormous stress relief. Ensuring that you get adequate sleep will enormously reduce your physical stress and enable you to more effectively deal with strssors. Finally I would say that if you are prepared to encounter stress and know how to manage it you will become more productive and have a higher quality of life while reducing your chances of becoming physically ill.

Richard, It sounds like you have a good sense of your current situation and know what you need to do in the future. Sometimes starting new coping mechanisms can be tough, particularly around the holidays. I might recommend starting slow and working your way up. While the new year is a natural choice for getting new things started, the very best time is actually now.

Dr. Melissa Read

Daniel, It sounds like you could be teaching this course!!! Thanks for sharing your detailed perspective. I agree that it's about how we prepare to manage stress that defines us, and not the stress we experience itself.

Dr. Melissa Read

I have found that going to teh gym in the morning
and doing excerise clears the Brain and relieves stress

I have been incorporating more awareness into my bad go-to habits. For example, when I am stressed I automatically reach for the sugar: M&M's, cookies, etc. By trying to stop myself before I reach out for the sugar-laden treats I can avaoid another stree-weight gain!
One of the things I have learned is that it is OK for me to fail at this...it's going to take me time to stop the old habit and learn the new.

I walk 45 minutes after work every day.

I've never given breathing exercises or stretching a whole lot of credence. I may take these ideas more seriously, since there is so much more stress in my life.

I usually talk with a friend or family member. If this option is not available, I love relying on a one-mile walk.

I am in the beginning stages of a walking/jogging program. I am learning to recognize negative stress reactions and not give into them (for instance, a sudden strong craving for Reeses Peanut Butter Cups right after a negative encounter with a coworker or a student). I am also learning to recognize how the stressors from work and my personal life feed off of one another.

I am going to try to incorporate at least 20 minutes a day of exercise. I also love the idea of creating a stress list and trying to identify causes of stress that I can eliminate.

Margaret, Indeed! It is wonderful to proactively start our day with a little time for us. While in terms of the time we have, it's a brief setback, we often find ourselves ahead in the end.

Dr. Melissa Read

Tracy, Go ahead and give both of these methods a try! Some people look at them and think they are so easy that they can't make an impact. This is not the case!

Dr. Melissa Read

Joshua, Twenty minutes of exercise may not seem like a lot but can make a huge impact on both your health and your outlook. Sounds like a wonderful plan and I hope you enjoy the full benefits!

Dr. Melissa Read

Laura, I think you have a healthy outlook on your current state, your goal state and how to get to a better place in life. That's a great to know. Yes, it takes time to completely eliminate bad habits. This is particularly true during the holiday season when we break from our routines.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sign In to comment