Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Helen, Interesting that you should mention this. Shopping can be great exercise. A lot of times, people don't realize how much of an impact just walking can have. To your point though, it's important to watch the wallet too!

Dr. Melissa Read

I really try to incoperate exercise in my daily routine to relieve my stress. I walk my dog for about 45 minutes every evening after dinner. I notice that on nights I don't do this, my back hurts more and I don't sleep as well at night. Then I have another stressor, knowing that the dog didn't get his exercise.

My outlet for coping with stressors is bicycling either before or after work. A sunrise or sunset bike ride can have lasting effect for either a busy work day or for a restfull nights sleep.

Stephen, So glad to hear you have found bike riding to be a great outlet. I imagine this works particularly well during sunset and sunrise to your point. It's great to be able to get outside and enjoy nature!

Dr. Melissa Read

I play Music keyboard. That helps me a lot when coping with a lot of stress.

My outlet for my stressors is dancing to music with my one year old son! Not only is it fun to participate with him, it's a great way to forget about my worries for a few moments, if not longer!

Amanda, Great to hear! It sounds like you have found an activity that you both enjoy and benefit from. Nice!

Dr. Melissa Read

Shoaib, Excellent idea. Sounds like quite the creative outlet.

Dr. Melissa Read

Two years ago i reached my goal weight after loosing about 80 lbs. I found Diet and Exercise to be extremely effective in relieving stress. Wieght training, team sports, Yoga are all fantastic. I will continue to use those with prioritizing method entertwined in those methods. My biggest thing is to make sure that I don't stress myself out, trying to fit a workout as a stress reliever and health benefit on top of everything...

I do moderate, short exercises to help with stress. When I am stressed I spend more time with my hobby of model trains. I sometimes talk to others about what is stressing me.

Jim, Sounds like you have a few great outlets. Wonderful to hear. Model trains are not something I hear a lot about from instructors but I imagine they can be great at taking your mind off of things.

Dr. Melissa Read

I will get th phone and call my mom. We talk abou everything and it is a great way for me to get it off my chest.

I will increase my workout routine and add a yoga class.

I cope with stress by making sure I get enough sleep. Even when I have lots of work to do I make sure I get at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night (sometimes more).

I currently use exercise as my great stress release. I do run up to 3 times a week, and I lift weights. These are great, but hey do consume time.

Over the past year, I've forced myself to rest more, which runs counter to a false conviction that if I stay up later and rise earlier, I will get more done. In truth, a well rested mind and body can do more with less available time than a fatigued one.the key is not to deceive oneself into thinking otherwise.

Admittedly, for many years, a few beers at the end of the day was my unwinding routine. I justified the behavior with exercise and ego stroking about how much I'd accomplished at work, but in truth, it was a self-deception. I drink far less now. I enjoy a few beers only on the weekend, primarily during football season. I don't relate it to work, however, and that's an important paradigm shift.

Lastly, I try to communicate my stress to my wife more. She is thoughtful and supportive. If I really need help, she will stand against the other pressures of my life to help me relax and come up for air when my responsibilities appear to much to bear.

I like to read books in the winter that don't have anything to do with education. I use these as a temporary escape. I also enjoy gardening during the summer and landscaping to reduce stress.

Currently I would benefit from not procrastinating and making the best use of my time!

I enjoy listening to music or taking a swim or even a bubble bath to reduce my stress.

Start evaluating which can be reduced and which can be eliminated. Also get back into using my treadmill to help.

I have used breathing exercises for quite some time. I feel an immediate release of stress. Going forward I plan to begin exercising to help the stress from building up in my neck and back.

Sign In to comment